interior lights blowing fuse question

douellette

hello, on my 97 cutlass 2dr. it keeps blowing the fuse for the interior lights (fuse 28 i believe) i checked all the interior lights and sockets, but they all look fine. looking at the wiring diagram in the haynes manual it looks like the only other "component" that could be causing problems is the door jam switch. im thinking the passengers side because as soon as i try to put a new fuse in, it blows it instantly.

what do you guys think?

hello, on my 97 cutlass 2dr. it keeps blowing the fuse for the interior lights (fuse 28 i believe) i checked all the interior lights and sockets, but they all look fine. looking at the wiring diagram in the haynes manual it looks like the only other "component" that could be causing problems is the door jam switch. im thinking the passengers side because as soon as i try to put a new fuse in, it blows it instantly.

what do you guys think?

When I first got my vert my fuse for my interior lights was blown and as soon as I would put a new fuse in it would blow instantly. It was my cigarette lighter. Something was evidently grounding out. I replaced the lighter and it was all good. Hope this helps.

what do you guys think?

When I first got my vert my fuse for my interior lights was blown and as soon as I would put a new fuse in it would blow instantly. It was my cigarette lighter. Something was evidently grounding out. I replaced the lighter and it was all good. Hope this helps.

somebody before told me to check if it was the cig lighter by removing the lighter from the socket and trying to put a new fuse in. but it still blows a fuse if i do that. you think it'd be worth swapping out the cig lighter?

what do you guys think?

somebody before told me to check if it was the cig lighter by removing the lighter from the socket and trying to put a new fuse in. but it still blows a fuse if i do that. you think it'd be worth swapping out the cig lighter?

I just changed the lighter portion of it. See if the base part is loose if it is try tightening it.

what do you guys think?

I just changed the lighter portion of it. See if the base part is loose if it is try tightening it.

when i took out the big gauge surround piece i didnt notice that it was loose haha. also, if i unplug the lighter and it stops blowing the fuse then that would mean its a bad lighter right? and my accessory lighter plug thing down by the feet, that still works when the fuse blows, idk if thats supposed to happen or not though?

what do you guys think?

when i took out the big gauge surround piece i didnt notice that it was loose haha. also, if i unplug the lighter and it stops blowing the fuse then that would mean its a bad lighter right? and my accessory lighter plug thing down by the feet, that still works when the fuse blows, idk if thats supposed to happen or not though?

If it was loose then there is a possibility that it could be grounding out in the bottom of the base where the plug connects. I think the only ground is the part where the the two pieces of the base screw together to the housing, well in my 93 at least. Just try unplugging the lighter and see what happens.

alright i found the problem.

one of the rear interior lights for the back seats. i pull out the drivers side assembly and the wiring that goes from the housing to the connector had one wire (the orange wire) that was worn through down to the metal wire inside. so i cut out the bad section, taped it up and now it works fine.