flickering digital dash - regal

supreme_style21

I'm sure I know the answer to this one already, but just wanted to ask, cause I'm still wrong a lot.

Friend of mine has an early 90's Regal. It has the full digital dash (speedo, rpms, all other gauges are digital).

The gauges flicker off and on. When it's cold, they don't come on AT ALL unless you play around with the dimmer switch/slider (for the interior dash lights). After playing with the dimmer, (I hope I can explain it clearly) the gauges stay ON, but the actual digits and little tick marks will come off and on. For example, the speedometer.. it'll stay the hazy green background color, but the digits and little tick marks that run up/down according to the speed will keep blinking off and on. It is like that with all gauges.

Is the cluster faulty? Or a switch or loose connection?

Sounds like a cluster problem. Pretty common for the earlier digital and analog clusters alike. Lots of posts around here about it. There are companies that can rebuild them or you can risk getting a used one. If you decide to get a used one I'd make sure and see pictures of it in action before purchase.

Those digital dashes were actually pretty bullet proof. The Base model ones on the other hand....those were the problematic ones. Both of mine still work perfectly after 20+ years, and there are many others out there that are still working as well

The Regals have a "Cluster Display" button, which will toggle the dash between displaying just the tick marks, just the digits, or both. Check out the switch to make sure that nothing is sticking. You should also be able to disconnect the switch to see if it is something as simple as a switch issue.

Also, when you say it is like that for all the gauges, do you mean the Speedo and the Tach, or even Fuel, Oil pressure, Temp and Volt gauges too?

Those digital dashes were actually pretty bullet proof. The Base model ones on the other hand....those were the problematic ones. Both of mine still work perfectly after 20+ years, and there are many others out there that are still working as well

The Regals have a "Cluster Display" button, which will toggle the dash between displaying just the tick marks, just the digits, or both. Check out the switch to make sure that nothing is sticking. You should also be able to disconnect the switch to see if it is something as simple as a switch issue.

Also, when you say it is like that for all the gauges, do you mean the Speedo and the Tach, or even Fuel, Oil pressure, Temp and Volt gauges too?

Everything.. fuel, oil pressure, etc.

Are you saying disconnect the 'cluster display' button? Or pull the headlight/dimmer switch?

I was saying cluster display switch....but now that you mention that it's everything.....I would try disconnecting the headlight/dimmer switch. IIRC, that should cause the dash to go full brightness, completely bypassing the dimmer switch.