Need Advise - Mufflers 2001 GP GT

runt

So for the car to pass inspection this year I need a new Passenger side muffler. Since I do have the dual exhaust I'm going to do both while I'm paying to have the work done. I don't think that I need to replace the piping, but if someone has a recommendation for a kit (possible cat-back?) I might consider it.

I am 100% OK with the stock sound of this car. Well, almost stock as I do have the 2.5" ZZP Downpipe w/ Cat. I did like the sound of the car with the stock mufflers.

I'm not sure if I should just pony up the cash for something OEM from GMPartsDirect or if I should try something else. I haven't watched any youtube vids for clips or anything yet, I guess I'm starting here for some quick advise. I'm going to try to make a purchase at the beginning of next week so I can get the work done before the end of March. I've honestly fallen out of the aftermarket area for my GP since I purchased this house.

So what is it? Flowmaster? Magnaflow? OEM? HELP!

JD.

So for the car to pass inspection this year I need a new Passenger side muffler. Since I do have the dual exhaust I'm going to do both while I'm paying to have the work done.

Wow. My GP needs a passenger side muffler too. I'm having them both replaced as well, just because I feel there's no point in replacing just one.

I'm gambling that Cherry Bomb Glasspacks are gonna sound nice on my car... crossing my fingers. I already bought them and am waiting to get them put on...

I'm gambling that Cherry Bomb Glasspacks are gonna sound nice on my car...

They won't.

Jeremy, check out either the GMPP kit or pick up a set of Dynomax mufflers. My buddy had those on his GTP way back in the day and I liked how it sounded.

I'm gambling that Cherry Bomb Glasspacks are gonna sound nice on my car...

They won't.

They sounded pretty nice on the youtube videos I watched of 3100 cars with Cherry Bombs on them. Including a Malibu that sounded like an old Camaro :lol: . I'm thinkin' it won't sound too bad. I just hope it doesn't turn into a fart can sound.

Here is the same thing all in one video for you

Well...I like the idea of the GMPP kit, but I don't think that I need the downpipe. Then again, my ZZP pipe is about 4 years old. If I get the GMPP kit that is right at the top of my budget, but I've always wanted something a little bit different on the car. I like the tips too. I hope that it wouldn't be too loud, because the car really isn't that fast...

I've got a few days to think this over and research.

Thanks for the help so far.

Any other GM parts warehouses out there?

3800's sound like crap, so I'd keep the stock mufflers if I were you. They're great motors, it's just a shame they sound like poo. If only GM could've made it sound like the 3100/3400...

On a side note, what is it exactly that makes these motors (3100/3400 and 3800) sound so different. Is it the 60* vs 90* of separation?

3800's sound like crap, so I'd keep the stock mufflers if I were you. They're great motors, it's just a shame they sound like poo. If only GM could've made it sound like the 3100/3400...

On a side note, what is it exactly that makes these motors (3100/3400 and 3800) sound so different. Is it the 60* vs 90* of separation?

i believe that you are right on that one...the degree of seperation, that and the difference in displacement but mainly the 60* vs 90*

Wait a second...there isn't a DP with that kit is there?

Appears to bolt to the downpipe.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking.

Huh. A full 2.5" all the way back isn't such a bad thing...

Walker Sound FX? :lol:

No, I'm not willing to put a can of bees in my exhaust! Thanks though! :lol:

I have myself half talked into the GMPP kit...maybe I need to find a video of the exhaust note...huummm..

I've heard that the stock exhaust system is plenty large enough for a lot more power over stock (on the L67's), so you should have no issue.

If it were me, I would look for something that is-

1: Not loud.

2: Sounds atleast somewhat decent. Pretty hard for a 3800, but I'm sure it is possible.

That being said, I wouldn't waste a bunch of money. I'd pick up some OEM style replacement (should be able to pick something up off of rockauto) and leave it be.

i believe that you are right on that one...the degree of seperation, that and the difference in displacement but mainly the 60* vs 90*

the bank angle has NOTHING to do with the sound of the exhaust... the 660s and 690s are both even firing motors, so if they made a 90* 3100 or a 60* 3800, it wouldn't make any difference from that alone...

you want a better sound? get a better cam.

If I want a better sound, I'd skip the cam and find something with 2 more cylinders...

:lol2:

....I can't recall ever hearing a 3800 with an exhaust that I liked the sound better then the stock one

I should take a video of my Regal's exhaust so you guys can hear it. The Series 1 3800 sounds nothing like the Series 2. They are very different motors.

I'll probably do it tomorrow.