Digital Cluster Install Into 1992 Grand Prix, DIC "Range" Problems

RPE1992GPSE

Hello,

I have successfully installed a digital cluster from a 1989 Grand Prix into my 1992. I have a year-correct (vacuum fluorescent display) Driver Information Center in my car as well. Upon installing the digital cluster, the DIC now has a problem with calculating the car's fuel range accurately. On a full tank, the DIC says I have about 50-60 miles to empty and it quickly drops until the DIC display says "CK. FUEL." I have managed to find a few other posts talking about this issue with other folks that have swapped in a UB3 cluster, but I have not found anyone who has fixed this problem. Any suggestions? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I've thought more about this problem and the only thing I can come up with is that a digital cluster and a VFP Driver Information Center were never paired in the Grand Prixs...the LCD Driver Information Centers would have been in vehicles with the digital clusters (88-89). Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks.

if i had to guess, it would be due to the DIC not recieving the datastream that it normally would if it was running on the correct codemask...

88 and 89 2.8 and 3.1 would be $6D

90 3.1 is $88

91-92 3.1 is $A1

91-93 3.4 and 93 3.1 is $DF

• 2 years later...

I realize this post is ancient but I believe I solved the problem. It is not PCM related. As I suspected, it is voltage related. The LCD DIC uses a different reference voltage than the VFD one does. Think about it - GM never paired a digital cluster with a VFD DIC. I swapped in an LCD DIC and all is well. :)

Out of curiosity, how did you get the cluster to work properly? I put one in my 91 and it worked fine, except the speedometer wouldn't illuminate unless I had the lights on. Did you have to do any modifications putting it in?

• 2 weeks later...