Most of my 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix's problems in one convenient thread...

Night Fury

Several problems.....

Let me know if you have any insight! Thanks!

Vid 1:

Vid 2:

Vid 3:

A lot of my talking is just rambling..... most of it is probably way off base.

Problem #1 - Does the noise come from all the speakers or just the door speakers? The door speakers were powered by an external amplifier, and the dash and rear speakers are powered by the stereo's amplifier. One or both of the amplifiers should probably be replaced depending on which speakers the noise is coming out of.

Problem #1 - Does the noise come from all the speakers or just the door speakers? The door speakers were powered by an external amplifier, and the dash and rear speakers are powered by the stereo's amplifier. One or both of the amplifiers should probably be replaced depending on which speakers the noise is coming out of.

Everything.... Even if I fade the sound to one side or to the rear of the car, the static and hissing and shit comes from all speakers at a constant rate and volume

I'd just replace the radio displays (since there were a separate piece in the 88 and 89's). If that doesn't fix the problem, replace the amplifier/tuner piece under the dash. My guess is that age has taken it's toll and has caused something to fail internally, which is making those noises..

Your turn signals, a common problem. Had the same issues when i had my TGP. The turn signal switch is to blame since the contacts for all the lamps go through it. There was a write up somewhere on how to repair it, and I'll look for it to post.. but it's a temp repair, the problem will creep up again (happened to me).

Your cruise control not working tells me there's probably a vac leak somewhere. Check all the vac lines going in to the cruise control bladder and make sure nothing is dryrotted or cracked. Do your HVAC controls work fine? Does it direct air where you want it to? Problems there are also signs of a vac problem too.

Yep Hvac works perfectly, and I've looked around a bit for a vac leak, but would need to get a bit more thorough to be sure... The cruise baffle itself works though when you push on it

YOU think YOU have problems; I haven't started mine in over two years... just sits in the garage!

The last time I started it, it ran for a few minutes and then just shut off and wouldn't restart.

I don't even mess with it anymore! I know the gas is OVER two years old too...