1996 Cutlass Supreme International

Technics

http://compnine.com/vid.php?vin=1g3wh12m9tf331945 Does'nt appear to be anything special, but it's interesting. Why would a dealer bother, why would he even have that badging 3 years later???

think of this. Pinstriping on most cars is installed by the dealer. The cost of a retail pinstripe kit is $5. They are buying at wholesale prices, say maybe $1 or less each for them. They have the detail guy spend ten minutes of his $10 an hour job doing the install. then they charge you $100 or more for the pinstriping when you buy a new car. I have found dealer receipts in owners manuals form 20 year old cars where the pinstriping where they added it to the base price of a car anlog with other extras.

in fact even better:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/strategies/articles/47677/article.html

and a dealer would have the badges as spare parts in case someones car would need replacement or repair. it is a NOS old part they had on hand.

Nah, I doubt a dealer would bother. It's not a value-added modification. No customer is going to know or care what "International" means.

I think that car was previously owned by a W-body geek who thought the badges would be cool. Previous owner may even be a former forum member from back in the day. That lettering looks super cheap.

As,I mentioned before purchased the car in 97' used and not from somebody who would be adding aftermarket "International" lettering or badges to it. The badge is an oem badge the lettering maybe. The person I purchased the car from purchased it from a dealer new complete w/ badging and lettering. I know who the dealer was, do you think there's any way of tracing the badging mystery this way? Regards Mike P.S. Do Internationals have other means of I.D. i.e. internal logo's or badging?? cause if they do this car has nothing on the inside indicating such.

My 1995 Grand Prix is also an International, probably a factory error or something since it's the wrong year and make of car. It's probably worth millions!!!

I'll take pics, if I have a moment when I get home!

As,I mentioned before purchased the car in 97' used and not from somebody who would be adding aftermarket "International" lettering or badges to it. The badge is an oem badge the lettering maybe. The person I purchased the car from purchased it from a dealer new complete w/ badging and lettering. I know who the dealer was, do you think there's any way of tracing the badging mystery this way? Regards Mike P.S. Do Internationals have other means of I.D. i.e. internal logo's or badging?? cause if they do this car has nothing on the inside indicating such.

There must have been a W-body geek working at that dealership then. The badge is OEM for sure, but that lettering is definitely not. GM never used vinyl lettering, they used chrome plated plastic with double-sided tape. Even if GM did use vinyl, that lettering/font looks super generic. Real internationals had "Cutlass Supreme" next to the international badge.

what Gnat said. as for hood badging, it was only hood badged through 91. 92+ have only the side and interior badge.

I stick with my statement that the dealer added the badging so they could mark it up as a dealer add on.