Upper Plenum gasket.

92turboLE

Ok, gonna rip off the plenum and pait it... will i be ok to use the old gasket again or should i invest in a new set of gaskets??? the old gasket off of my other motor that i am building seems to be in good shape (i have all new gaskets for the new motor) so im curious if i will be able to re-use the gaskets on my current plenum

any ideas???

- Justin

i dunno, the gasket that came out of my spare motor looked like they were made from the smae material as pegboard - that kinda cardboard type wood looking stuff ??????

i dunno

i may just rip the fucker off and see what happens... worst case, i will have a plenum that i cant attach to a car that doesnt move anyways...

- Justin

Guest TurboSedan

i know if you buy the Fel-Pro plenum gaskets they are metal and have the O-rings in the ports (on my engine right now). Jeff M once said that this could be bad, since someone he knew could not get the plenum bolts to torque evenly even with an inch/lb torque wrench and ended up breaking a bolt or the plenum itself i can't remember which. i've also bought plenum gaskets from a brand called Niehoff before, and they were just paper really. i never had a problem with either. fwiw, the plenum bolts changed in '91 from '90....the '91+ bolts use rubber sleeves around a smaller bolt, whereas the '88-'90 plenums used a bigger bolt but no sleeve. i think the plenums themselves are different too, since the holes for the bolts on the '88-'90 plenums are a little bigger to accomodate the bigger bolt.

i'd go for new gaskets tho, they are probably pretty cheap (i forgot the cost), and you wouldn't have to worry about vacuum leaks.

joshua

i know if you buy the Fel-Pro plenum gaskets they are metal and have the O-rings in the ports (on my engine right now). Jeff M once said that this could be bad, since someone he knew could not get the plenum bolts to torque evenly even with an inch/lb torque wrench and ended up breaking a bolt or the plenum itself i can't remember which. i've also bought plenum gaskets from a brand called Niehoff before, and they were just paper really. i never had a problem with either. fwiw, the plenum bolts changed in '91 from '90....the '91+ bolts use rubber sleeves around a smaller bolt, whereas the '88-'90 plenums used a bigger bolt but no sleeve. i think the plenums themselves are different too, since the holes for the bolts on the '88-'90 plenums are a little bigger to accomodate the bigger bolt.

i'd go for new gaskets tho, they are probably pretty cheap (i forgot the cost), and you wouldn't have to worry about vacuum leaks.

joshua

Yeah, on mine, I had the metal gaskets with o-ring things, and the bolts with the rubber sleaves, and mine wouldnt torque either. I bent the bolts and even broke one off. And, if your curious, new plenum bolts are $5 a piece!! I think when I do my rebuild, I'll be using the pre-91 plenum bolts and gaskets. Also, I think pre-91 plenums did not have a hole for the PCV tube on the bottom, it ran to the lower manifold, where as the 91+ have the hole in the bottom of the plenum for the PCV

Robby

Guest TurboSedan

i'm pretty sure my '90 TGP plenum has the PCV tube on the bottom of the plenum just like my '91 n/a plenum...not 100% sure as it is not with me at the moment. i had a '90 3.1 engine in my car for about a month (completely different engine) and i used my '91 plenum on the '90 engine (my '91 plenum looks almost new, the '90 plenum was kinda scrungy). i had to use the '90 bolts to make it work since the bolts are bigger and the '91 bolts are too small to thread into the '90 lower intake....but it worked fine. no rubber sleeves but oh well. when i replace my plenum gaskets i'm probably going to get the plain 'ol paper variety.

joshua