1993 Regal with 2 tranny coolers??

RoyalRegal

I just bought a 93 regal custom 3800.

I noticed that it has 2 tranny oil coolers.

The one built into the rad I expect, but there is another one in front of the rad and condenser.

At first I thought it has to be an aftermarket cooler, but the thing is mounted to the radiator support and looks too perfect and is mounted like it is a factory installed item.

The lines are plumbed like it's made to be that way.

My friend says his Bonneville SSE doesnt have one, so I'm wondering about this.

Can anybody shed light on this.

Does anybody have an factory EXTRA tranny cooler on their Regal?

TIA

that was a fairly common option on a lot of first gen w cars. 91-93 3.4 cars got them by default and IIRC there were several packages that included them for various reasons.

Wow, you guys are quick on the draw, thanx for replying so fast!

Interesting that they added a second cooler from the factory. I'm thankful for it, it will definitely increase the longevity of the tranny.

Thanx again.

My '96 SSEi bonneville had one factory, as did my '94 STS. Those were the only ones I can remember that did that were GM cars.

My buddy has a 1995 Bonneville SSE, and no extra cooler. I would think his would have it before mine, considering it's an SSE. Very odd.

My '96 SSEi bonneville had one factory, as did my '94 STS. Those were the only ones I can remember that did that were GM cars.

My buddy has a 1995 Bonneville SSE, and no extra cooler. I would think his would have it before mine, considering it's an SSE. Very odd.

Was it a supercharged SSE? If not that's probably the difference.

Was it a supercharged SSE? If not that's probably the difference.

[br]

SSE's are not supercharged, SSEi is the supercharged.

My point is the SSE is a sports package car with dual exhaust and beefier suspension, bigger wheels, etc...... you would think that they would add it to the package.

My Regal is a more of a luxury car and does not have the GS sports package, but yet comes with the extra cooler. :thinking:

The only Bonnevilles through 99' that I've seen with trans coolers are SSEi/Supercharged SSE/SE Bonnevilles. Basically if it was not supercharged it didn't get a trans cooler.

As far as why your regal got it, it could have been some part of towing package that was offered at the time.

I added that cooler from a Regal to my '95 LQ1 Cutlass, since GM was too cheap to have done it right when it was built..

:)

that was a fairly common option on a lot of first gen w cars. 91-93 3.4 cars got them by default and IIRC there were several packages that included them for various reasons.

I added that cooler from a Regal to my '95 LQ1 Cutlass, since GM was too cheap to have done it right when it was built..

:)

The only downside to the extra cooler for me was, when I bought the car, it was a quart and a half low on tranny fluid.

There are 3 hose clamps on the extra plumbing for it and over time, they start to leak from the vibrations and rubber expanding/contrasting. I guess the previous owner never noticed :mad:

The only Bonnevilles through 99' that I've seen with trans coolers are SSEi/Supercharged SSE/SE Bonnevilles. Basically if it was not supercharged it didn't get a trans cooler.

As far as why your regal got it, it could have been some part of towing package that was offered at the time.

My supercharged 93 Park Ave has one as well. The non s/c ones dont. Of course the damn thing had to start leaking when i was in Toronto, over 2 hours from home :cussing:

My 95 Regal didn't come with one, so I added my own.

Not exactly the best idea though, as I put too big of one in mine, and my car will take a good 10 minutes of driving before the TCC clutch will start to engage because the temperature of the transmission is too low before that.

At least I know I won't have heat related transmission problems!

my car will take a good 10 minutes of driving before the TCC clutch will start to engage because the temperature of the transmission is too low before that.

DAMN! the GP had a stock temp of 149*F before it would allow lock, but i moved it to 120, haven't had any issues with it there, but i'm hesitant to go lower...

my car will take a good 10 minutes of driving before the TCC clutch will start to engage because the temperature of the transmission is too low before that.

DAMN! the GP had a stock temp of 149*F before it would allow lock, but i moved it to 120, haven't had any issues with it there, but i'm hesitant to go lower...

Have you seen my transmission cooler? :lol:

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

At least it held up temperatures extremely well on my road trip from California to Chicago. I would be going at a slight uphill gradient with strong headwinds and a completely loaded back seat and trunk. I would have the gas completely floored, with a manifold temperature of 50 degrees, and the trans temp never went above 210. Even going up the mountains in colorado at 4600 rpm for minutes on end, it didn't creep past 220.

yeah, that's a bit bigger than the one i have sitting by me... :lol:

there are thermostatic valves out there to route it around the cooler until the trans fluid reaches a certain temp... saves some gas at the absolute minimum.

And if that doesn't make you believe, just know that my 05 GTP I had not half as loaded as his car, or not near the throttle %, my trans temp climbed WAY up, into the 260's IIRC.... that is super trans cooking temp, and I am 100% sure that I took years off of the life of that trans doing so. Unfortunately that doesn't matter anymnore.

Either that, or find a Regal, or other W-body. The mounting holes are already on the top radiator support, you'll possibly have to create a couple of small notches on the lower radiator support to have a spot for the lower mounting nuts to sit.

You can use the transmission lines as well, but they will have to be cut at the point they curve around the lower radiator support, because the Regal lines are bent differently than the ones used on a Cutlass. I cut the steel lines going to and from the cooler to allow rubber lines to go downward through the plenum box, then through a hole in the frame, then to the lines behind the lower radiator support. The trans cooler bracket can be bent slightly outward to allow for clearance at the radiator support bracket convertibles have in front of the radiator, or if you find one in an early Cutlass 'vert, you can take the bracket in front of the radiator, early models with the cooler have the bars flattened to allow clearance for the cooler. It's worthwhile if you'd prefer to not bend the support bracket on the cooler. Later 'verts have this radiator support bracket welded, it's bolted in earlier cars.

Worst part of the job is taking the nose apart to allow access to the interior of the plenum box the coupes use since they have no grille. I took the headlight panel out to gain access and left the bumper and plenum box in place, and only removed the plastic retainers for the front of the box on the driver's side, since I had no desire to remove the entire box. This allowed tight but usable access without totally disassembling the front end of the car. The upper threads to mount the cooler are already on your convertible, right next to the dogbone mount. I had to take the dogbone mount loose to put the left "leg" of the cooler bracket under the mount, and it bolted right up.

I ran the lines to duplicate the factory routing of the fluid, so the fluid goes both through the cooler in the radiator, and the extra cooler in front of the radiator, inside the plenum box.

All told, it took me about 6 hours. Transmission temps are about 30-40 degrees cooler on 90+ degree days.

Seems like a lot of work to fab up an OEM cooler. IMO, your best bet is to buy an aftermarket cooler. B & M makes good ones. I had one in my '88 Crown Vic back in the day.

It WAS a lot of work. On Cutlass Coupes, the front of the radiator is surrounded by an air box..all of the cooling air comes from under the car...the only good place to mount a cooler is inside that box...so, in that case, it made sense to use one I knew would fit in the space...

The fact that it only cost me $35.00 total didn't hurt, either.. :)