HUD or DIC in a 5th generation Monte Carlo?

Robb235

In the process of planning my L67 swap, I've been tinkering with the idea lately of installing a DIC and possibly a HUD into my Monte Carlo. I'm not really concerned with the wiring aspect, since I have the Alldata discs on my computer which gives me access to any diagram I need, and I'm completely comfortable with splicing wires. The problem is the physical placement of the DIC. My '95 Monte Carlo never had a DIC option (or any of the 5th generation Monte Carlo or Luminas), so I don't know of a good place to put one.

width=1280 height=969http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/Robb235/Monte%20Carlo%20Dash/f82e3b6f.jpg[/img]

width=1280 height=969http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/Robb235/Monte%20Carlo%20Dash/98b3e226.jpg[/img]

width=1280 height=970http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/Robb235/Monte%20Carlo%20Dash/ca8e58fd.jpg[/img]

This leaves me with one of two options that I can see.

Ideally, I would like to use a DIC out of a 98+ Grand Prix GTP so that I could have a boost gauge in the DIC; and somehow swap it into this random cubby hole here:

width=1280 height=970http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/Robb235/Monte%20Carlo%20Dash/598faf25.jpg[/img]

width=1280 height=970http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e86/Robb235/Monte%20Carlo%20Dash/66a0deb0.jpg[/img]

Although, because of the odd shape of the 98+ GTP DIC, I doubt I could swap it into that location. Maybe there is another DIC available with similar dimensions I could use?

My other option I see is to use the DIC out of the 6th generation Monte Carlo and Impalas. These are the overhead kind that attach to the ceiling.

Maybe someone knows of a better way, or has already installed a DIC into a 5th gen. Monte Carlo or Lumina?

97-2003 DIC. flat out SUCK compared to 1994-1996. The boost bar is more like a guess. If i were you i would go with a 1996 DIC, and a after market gauge. the 97's show you. Oil life, range, avg mpg, and fule used. the 96 shows you range, trip time, trip miles, avg mpg, instint mpg, miles till empty, temp, and avg speed. (might be more)

The one i remember seeing the person relocated their HVAC controls to the center console and put the 97+ DIC there.

As for the HUD, that should be possible and I believe I have seen someone try it, but don't recall who.

if you want another option... you could install an overhead co9nsole from a van and use a info center from a U-van...

not sure if you found the thread, but here's the write-up for it. i think i forgot to mention both differences between the blazers and minivans where i have the differences.

let me know when/if your going to swing by with the new lumina. i know you mentioned 2 weeks i think. weekends are best if possible. if you can let me know the exact day.

here's the thread: http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=77601.0

here's the write-up:

Here's a bit of a write up on the wiring for the consoles.

The 1996,1997 Blazer/Jimmy only have 6 wires for the console connector. The only wires are: Yellow, black/white, dark green/white, light green/black, grey and brown. There are 4 other wires that go with the console and they are for the lighting. Those wires are: White, yellow, orange and black.

The 1998+ Blazer/Jimmy and the 1997+ Venture/Montana will have 9 wires for the connector if it's equipped with the trip computer. The trip computer and fuel economy stuff weren't available in the older vehicles.

There are some wire differences between the Blazers and the GM minivans, but they still use the same 9 pin connector.

The difference between the 6 wire and 9 wire is that the 9 wire has the trip odometer, fuel used, average fuel economy and instant fuel economy, along with compass and temp, where as the 6 wire has only compass and temp. The '98+ Blazers had the option of not getting the trip computer so from '98+ The 6 wire connector had changed wire colors.

the 6 wire one is as follows:(taken from a '96 Blazer.)

Pin# Wire Color Description

5 YEL Accessory - Fused

6 BLK/WHT Ground

7 DKGRN/WHT VSS

8 LTGRN/BLK Outside Air Temp Signal

9 GRY Instrument Panel Feed

10 BRN Park Lamp Feed

9 pin connector:(taken from a '98 Venture)

7 YEL Fused Accessory

8 BLK Ground

9 DKGRN VSS

10 LTGRN/BLK Air Temp Sensor

11 GRY Interior Lamp Dim Signal

12 GRY/BLK Parklamp Switch output - Parklamps on

13 YEL Fuel Level Input

14 ORN Fused Battery Feed

15 TAN UART Serial Data Connection

The differences in wires between the minivans and the Blazers are:

7 DKGRN Fused Ignition

8 BLK/WHT Ground

12 PPL/WHT Parklamps on - BCM output (could also go to the switch just like the venture?)

13 NOT USED N/A

15 YEL Class 2 Communication Bus

So it's possible to have all the fuel economy stuff and trip stuff without using a BCM like the Chryslers do. The UART and the Class 2 Communication Bus are on the W-body cars after '97.Those 2 wires are located at the OBDII connector. At least in my '98 Lumina they are there and I believe that they're in other W's as well. The 96 W's don't have the UART wire. They do, however, have a Class 1 and Class 2, so be careful.

There is a 4 wire connector in the 96 Blazers that are used for the dome lights.

A WHT Curtesy lamp output

B YEL Accessory Fused

C ORN Battery Fused

D BLK Ground

I hope all this info was helpful.

Ha! You're missing the plastic backing plate in that random slot as well. I found one in a 5th gen at a junkyard years ago. I took it out shortly afterward to place my quick radar mute button though :lol:

97-2003 DIC. flat out SUCK compared to 1994-1996. The boost bar is more like a guess. If i were you i would go with a 1996 DIC, and a after market gauge. the 97's show you. Oil life, range, avg mpg, and fule used. the 96 shows you range, trip time, trip miles, avg mpg, instint mpg, miles till empty, temp, and avg speed. (might be more)

Now is a '96 DIC going to work with a '98+ GTP PCM I plan to use? I know they're both OBD2, but it seems like I've read about alot of wierd issues with using parts from transition year vehicles on "solid" OBD2 cars. For example, alot of '96 cars cannot be tuned with HP Tuners, even though they are OBD2. So I'm wondering if a '96 DIC would work for that reason.

Also, could someone with a '96 GP DIC measure its dimensions? Its height, and then its width at the widest point? I'm wondering if maybe that will fit into the cubby hole.

Ha! You're missing the plastic backing plate in that random slot as well. I found one in a 5th gen at a junkyard years ago. I took it out shortly afterward to place my quick radar mute button though :lol:

Haha, I think I have that plastic back piece somewhere in my center console.

a 96 dic would be the only one that would work with it. 94-95 dics are obd1.5

Have you considered swapping in a 96 dash? That would give you a spot for your heads up too

EDIT: My 96 dic has no problems working with my 97 lumina ecm, which is tunable with hp tuners.

Have you considered swapping in a 96 dash? That would give you a spot for your heads up too

EDIT: My 96 dic has no problems working with my 97 lumina ecm, which is tunable with hp tuners.

I've certainly thought about swapping dashes, but didn't know if it would be possible without extensive modifications. What car would I source a dash from? '97-'03 Grand Prix?

x2, using 97 Lumina PCMs too w/ 96 DICs :cool:

The dash swap would prolly be pretty straighforward, but expect some snags since you have a Chevy. The CS and GP were pretty damn close, so it was straighforward for me

• 3 years later...