Unhooked vac canister. What is it even for?

tornado_735

I discovered the other day where I had a vacuum leak, and why my HVAC controls weren't working. The line going to the vac canister under the battery was all brittle and broke right off as soon as I touched it. I found where the line went under the hood, and tried to get it out so I could try and glue it back together, but it broke off again. I said the hell with it, and just taped the line up (to seal the vacuum leak) so I could fix it on a warmer day. It's weird, but my HVAC controls work now. In fact, they work better than they ever have.

So what is that canister even for? And are there any problems that can arise for it not being hooked up?

assuming it's the carbon canister: slight increase in fuel economy, less pressure in the gas tank. but my diagrams are showing the carbon canister to be close to the front passenger wheel, not the battery...

assuming it's the carbon canister: slight increase in fuel economy, less pressure in the gas tank. but my diagrams are showing the carbon canister to be close to the front passenger wheel, not the battery...

No, I'm talking about the round cannister in front of the driver side tire. There is only one line going to it, and that line runs under the hood, and to a "T" where it slips off to somewhere by the firewall, and the other part to the other side of the Intake Manifold.

get that fixed when you can, it reduces fluctuations in vaccum system, which would be observed as a the vents not functioning during harder accelerations when vaccum from the engine decreases.

...it reduces fluctuations in vacuum system...

Ok, I kinda figured that's what it was for. I didn't know for sure, but I was guessing.

I'll get it fixed here soon. Thanks gentlemen.

Mods, you can go ahead and lock her up for me.