HUD unit?

SmoothSteve3

Im figuring your best bet would be a junk yard. It would be cheaper and i havent heard of any big suppliers of that kind of thing. If you look around you can find really good pieces. Good luck though.

HUD in a LUMINA?? Well, its going to be interested to see someone pull it off. It can be done but its going to require alot of custom work.

First of all the Lumina was never euipped with HUD. I would place my bets on the 92 Lumina's dashtop piece being similar in shape to the Cutlass. If you can find someone with a dash that already has a HUD cutout., use it for patterning the HUD cutout for your Lumina. Then get the 91-93 HUD and all the associated parts from a GP or Cutlass equipped with the HUD. Including the Supports, Wiring pigtails, dimmer switches, etc. Then get electrical schematics of the car the HUD came out of and the electrical schematics for your Lumina. Start comparing the wiring.

It takes alot of homework and research before pulling something like this of.

Guest TurboSedan
HUD in a LUMINA?? Well, its going to be interested to see someone pull it off. It can be done but its going to require alot of custom work.

First of all the Lumina was never euipped with HUD. I would place my bets on the 92 Lumina's dashtop piece being similar in shape to the Cutlass. If you can find someone with a dash that already has a HUD cutout., use it for patterning the HUD cutout for your Lumina. Then get the 91-93 HUD and all the associated parts from a GP or Cutlass equipped with the HUD. Including the Supports, Wiring pigtails, dimmer switches, etc. Then get electrical schematics of the car the HUD came out of and the electrical schematics for your Lumina. Start comparing the wiring.

It takes alot of homework and research before pulling something like this of.

yeah, the CS HUD *should* work ok on a Lumina, just don't get a Grand Prix HUD since that obviously wouldn't fit the dashpad. installing it isn't really that hard.....check my website! and ask away if you have any more questions....HUD rocks!

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

nah, the Grand Prix HUD is curved to fit the dashpad, while the Cutlass HUD is flat. i'm actually using an '89 CS HUD in my '91 CS, along with the dashpad from the same donor car. i still have my original dashpad (much nicer), but haven't gotten around to cutting a hole in it yet. i will be using the donor dashpad as a template when i do get around to cutting my original dashpad.

also, there are GEN-1 & GEN-2 HUD's for the 1st Generation W-body (you probably already know this). GEN-2 HUD's started in '91 and both the GP and CS HUD's changed then. my '89 HUD works just fine tho. i actually have a GEN-2 '91 GP STE HUD & dashpad sitting in my closet, but it has been sold/traded to Justin already. my ass just needs to figure out how to get to Denver (no money, no running car :( )so i can drop it off and pick up my STB's......

joshua

:lol: :lol: LOL Now that's not a Dumb Question if it comes from a LUMINA ower!!! :lol: Only because Lunima's NEVER had them. :cry:

HUD stands for:

Heads Up Display

Eighties Fighter Jet Technology used to project vital information into the operators line of sight. (Windshield)

Early GM HUD's displayed information like speed (MPH or KPH), Turn signals, bright lights, check Gauges warning. while in addition to all that, the 94 up newer ones display the radio station freq. To what I've seen so far on the 2004 GTP's, they now can display the exact information the Drivers Information System displays. :arrow: In fact they are beginning to look more like moving computer screen displays. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Guest TurboSedan
Im figuring your best bet would be a junk yard. It would be cheaper and i havent heard of any big suppliers of that kind of thing. If you look around you can find really good pieces. Good luck though.

i bought my Cutlass HUD for $3. seriously....they thought it was an old speaker :lol: :lol: i went back later and got the dashpad, which they charged me like $15 for.

joshua

Early GM HUD's displayed information like speed (MPH or KPH), Turn signals, bright lights, check Gauges warning. while in addition to all that, the 94 up newer ones display the radio station freq. To what I've seen so far on the 2004 GTP's, they now can display the exact information the Drivers Information System displays. :arrow: In fact they are beginning to look more like moving computer screen displays. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Dave,

I'm pretty sure the radio station display wasn't added until 97, although that HUD can be added to a 94-96 pretty easily (it has a smaller speed display though).

The 2004 GTP HUD is pretty cool stuff, dot-matrix and can show lots of info (DIC info too I think?)... it IS like a computer screen. Unfortunately, it would be very difficult to add this to a previous GP as it gets EVERYTHING from the Class 2 serial bus. I think it only has main 3-wires in fact! +12V, GND, and Class 2 serial data! It does have other wires, but they go to the height/brightness control.

Ummm Shawn... OK that could've been a 97 HUD I saw in a 96 GP ..ummmm

BTW Shawn.. They have been asking about you on the ClubGP forums 88-96 Section....A post about the veteren posters from 2000-2001