GTP091

I have a 1991 pontiac GTP and since I got the car the headlights/instrument/running lights are on as soon as the ignition is turned on. I always thought this was a weird thing and had a suspicion that there was a wiring problem in the headlight switch or ignition itself. Recently I've started the car and every once in awhile the lights stay off until I turn them on with the headlight switch but then stay on when switched off again. My initial thought about there being a problem with the circuit seems to make sense because if this was normal then why is there a switch if the key turns the lights on? The headlight relay is under the drivers dash close to the steering column. I had a mechanic tell me this was just a driving light thing and not to worry about it, but if that's the case why do the instruments and running lights turn on? Can a few of you 91-93 GTP owners tell me how your headlights operate with respect to the key on and headlight switch??

If you have a Canadian car or a car that had gotten the day runners module installed, you will have the auto lights features.

Look in the top left corner of your dashboard. Possibly in in the corner of the speaker grill. There will be a little photo cell sensor. If you don't find it, this may be why the lights are always on. The sensor detects when it is dark enough to enable all the lights. This sensor is known to get dirty or fall out of its hole. Put it back in it's little spot and clean it off, and you should have lights that work again.

you have DRLs cause you're a Canuck. :willynilly:

This seems to be common when the sensor on the dash is not working very well and thinks it is darker than it is.

TRY THIS: grab a bright flashlight, and shine it into the sensor when the lights are on and see if they go out.

My car was born in Kansas but im sure it was always destined for canadian sale. And yes it does have the sensor on the grill so I'll try that little flashlight trick. Still seems weird to me as it had always done this and now sometimes it doesn't. Is there a relatively easy way to remove the daytime running light module??

I looked at the wiring diagram and found the daytime running light service guide in my GM service manual. GM recommends replacement of the module or the light diode sensor like you said. When I pulled the AC1 fuse it worked like I always thought it should. Must be stuck in a permanent night mode. Im thinking that the module is buggered and isnt responding to the diode. I can feel and hear the relay clicking on when I turn the ignition to run. Luckily there are a few gp's at the local pick n pull I'll have to grab both pieces and test. I hate to leave the fuse out as the fix; I want all the systems in my car to work correctly. Im not one of those guys that pulls the AC out when it quits working.

Got the day time running light module from the JY on thursday. Paid a whole $free for it so thats a plus. Will put in and post the results tomorrow night.