Performance upgrades

chevyguy8893

Ok, so I have started thinking about what performance upgrades I want to do to my car. I will throw them out and see what you guys think. My goal is a 3.4 pulley without issues.

1. Overkill pcm, only one I can find that won't end in a blown motor

2. Wizaired intake

3. Need opinions on nice free flowing mufflers that aren't loud. I hate the sound of the GM V6 cackle.

4. 180 thermostat (a given)

5. 3 inch zzp catted down pipe

6. Magnaflow resonator, I have read the stock is fairly restrictive, is this true?

7. Headers may be a possibility, but not for a while

8. Also, some nice stock replacement roller rockers, not sure what is good there.

I know I am forgetting stuff, but can't remember what it is. Any opinions would be great. Thanks.

You will have to have headers to run a 3.4.

EDIT: To run a 3.4 well. :smile:

I was hoping to get around needing headers for a while, so I guess it would be 3.5 pulley then. I kinda want to do headers if I go as far as heads, a better cam, and an intercooler, which all equals a lot more money and it would not be a good daily driver then.

Bullshit! I'm running a 3.4 with stock manifolds.

Don't waste your money on that piece of shit wizaired intake. I got a jmb and its far better. (cheaper too I think) ZZP pcm should do just fine as well.

My mods:

JMB Intake

ZZP PCM

1.9 harland sharp roller rockers

Custom 3" downpipe, 2.5" piping res/ubend removed

3.4 pulley

180* stat

My car runs very well and has been problem free with these mods for over 60k miles.

I like the JMB intake, just had never heard of them. I want fenderwell intake, but all I could find was what looked like a dryer duct with a filter on it for $150, lol. I have not found too much good coming from ZZP pcm, at least if the car is beat on. A lot of what I have found there is KR at higher rpm's that causes major problems. I'm still up in the air on that, but I am really liking the good things I am hearing about the overkill pcm.

I like the JMB intake, just had never heard of them. I want fenderwell intake, but all I could find was what looked like a dryer duct with a filter on it for $150, lol. I have not found too much good coming from ZZP pcm, at least if the car is beat on. A lot of what I have found there is KR at higher rpm's that causes major problems. I'm still up in the air on that, but I am really liking the good things I am hearing about the overkill pcm.

Well I had better results with my dhp pcm I used to have but dealer ended up flashing it and dhp was out of business then. Tuning it yourself is the way to go.

I heard a lot of good things about DHP, and tried finding a good used one but couldn't. That sucks that the dealer screwed that one up. I would like to tune it myself, but most of what I want to do with mods would only need the replacement PCM. If I go big then I would have to start tuning it myself. There is so many routes I can go I just need to find the right one.

Bullshit! I'm running a 3.4 with stock manifolds.

Don't waste your money on that piece of shit wizaired intake. I got a jmb and its far better. (cheaper too I think) ZZP pcm should do just fine as well.

My mods:

JMB Intake

ZZP PCM

1.9 harland sharp roller rockers

Custom 3" downpipe, 2.5" piping res/ubend removed

3.4 pulley

180* stat

My car runs very well and has been problem free with these mods for over 60k miles.

Depends on the car then i guess. :dunno: I have seen these with a so called good tune, a 3.4, ect, and still running stock manifolds get a lot of knock.

I'd go colder plugs, t-stat, plog, tune, 3" dp. With a good tune it is possible to see no knock when running a 3.4 pulley. The stock intake although isn't as cool sounding But an intake isn't a necessary upgrade to run a 3.4, same thing with the cat back, no real need to upgrade it other then sound preference for a 3.4 setup.

Plugs

180* t stat

Intake

downpipe

u-bend/resonator delete

A good tune (each car is different, which is probably also why you are reading mixed reviews about everything)

Plogs

That would be my first mod list. Afterwards, I would check KR (after a good tune) to determine what pulley I would go with.

i have DHP and i dont like it. i want to switch to a ZZP and will probably buy one soon. i get quite alot of kr at part throttle even with a 3.8 pulley. its really about the same if i have the 3.4 pulley on it. the power log is alot cheaper than headers, but i have no experience with them, and i have seen alot them rust through, and stainless ones cracking.

the best thing you should buy is a scanner. i have the aeroforce so its in front of me at all times. i run autolite 104's and change them every other oil change. they are easy to change, and cheap. that way i know if there is an issue. i also have stock airbox, but its gutted and i ran some duct into the fender well for cooler air. i dont know if it helps or not, its something i did when i got bored one day.