89-93 B4U "heat shields" *updated question*

supertrick_05

I'm wondering if it would be safe to remove the heat shields in the exhaust outlets in the rear bumpers of the B4U cars. I see way too many cars with dual exhaust holes like that without heat shields. Anyone do it without burning/warping the bumpers?

*UPDATE* Also, does anyone have the measurements of how wide the outlet holes are with/without the shields? I'm looking at some exhaust tips and want to make sure they fit.

The ones on my Red TGP were gone when I got it and there's nothing wrong with the bumper on it. I do not know how long they were off when the previous owner(s) had the car though. I put some back a few months after picking up the car. Over a long period of time, removing them might contribute to the bumper warping some. If the paint is just peeling on yours, I would simply remove, repaint, and reinstall. If they're rusted out, grab another set from someone on the board. There's more of a visible gap around the tips without the shields and the rear doesn't look as nice without them IMO. It looks like something is "missing" without them, especially on lighter color cars. Running aftermarket exhaust tips made out of different materials might result in more heat transfer to the bumper as well.

I repainted the shields on my black TGP back in '05 with some duplicolor spray paint. The old paint was coming off of them, so I sanded them down, primed them, then resprayed them with what I believe was a "glossy black" color. It still looks exactly the same 5 years later. The standard Krylon paint for wood, metal, plastic, etc. would work well for this. That stuff adheres very well and dries hard. I've painted several sets of wheels with it and all of them have held up great over the past 2+ years. The krylon stuff is only around $3.xx/can at walmart.

Here's a link to a pic of my red car w/o the shields. It doesn't look as bad in the picture without them, but it's 100x more noticeable that they're missing if you saw a car like that in person.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/mfewtrail/Red%20TGP/IMG_3499.jpg

*UPDATE* Also, does anyone have the measurements of how wide the outlet holes are with/without the shields? I'm looking at some exhaust tips and want to make sure they fit.

There's about 7 1/4'' of space between the cutout w/o the shield and about 6 3/4'' of space in the same spot with the shields in place. The shields sit with a little bit of an air gap between them and the sides of the cutouts, but could probably be bent a little if a slight bit more clearance was needed.

EDIT: My measurements were taken in the center on the cutout where the exhaust tips will actually sit. They get another 1/4'' wider as you go down to the very bottom of them.

Here's the tips I just bought...

EXHAUST_TIP-ET1425.JPG

I think they'll look great on the car! They are not perfectly square, but contoured enough to look right at home in the outlet holes. Can't wait to get them!

my heat shields have been off of my car ever since i purchased it in 2004 because they were in rough shape and working on staining my paint rust. no issues, only time youd have issues if your exhaust is actually supporting the bumper cover somehow.

See, that's what I thought. I've seen countless cars that have exhaust cutouts and no heat shields with no problems. I think I might try it...if I do get problems, I'll just put them back in.

See, that's what I thought. I've seen countless cars that have exhaust cutouts and no heat shields with no problems. I think I might try it...if I do get problems, I'll just put them back in.

If you do have problems, it will be too late to put them back in. That's like saying I'll start brushing my teeth when i start having cavities. Umm...

Additionally, the heat may discolor the surrounding paint on your car, after which, once again, the damage will be done.

I'd wager that you could most likely get away without them for years with no ill effects, however considering how crappy the material is that the bumper cover is made from in the first place, I wouldn't take my chances.