95 Cutlass Supreme 2dr - door latch locking up

Motor

So i fixed the handle on the left door but the latch itself keeps on locking up randomly. It was locked on when i got the car from a friend and it locked when i was moving it by hand then it was fine for numerous times and then it locked again on the post.

So i need a new latch assembly and am not willing to buy it at the dealer for 223 or 150 with cost. Car cost us 300 bucks (beater for my fiancee's dad).

Please help out if you can, location to get the part, website, store, ideas. ( i already tried the local junkyard, any car that fit this had the latch removed.)

Thanks,

Motor

i read that thread before i posted this. Even with the rod pushed all the way in the latch will lock up randomly. Im not the original owner of this car so its a mess in certain places, that being one of em.

Are you certain the handle is the issue?

Is the door sagging?

I see you are in chi-town, so I'm guessing the cold is making the problem worse.

one tip: you should lubricate all the weather stripping around the door with dielectric grease. it may make the door open easier, and is the PROPER servicing the weatherstripping needs, anyhow.

Are you certain the handle is the issue?

Is the door sagging?

I see you are in chi-town, so I'm guessing the cold is making the problem worse.

one tip: you should lubricate all the weather stripping around the door with dielectric grease. it may make the door open easier, and is the PROPER servicing the weatherstripping needs, anyhow.

handle is NOT the issue. Latch keeps on locking up even with the rod pushed in all the way (with the handle disconnected - door open).

Door is not sagging. Cold has nothing to do with it. Problem first occured during warm months, plus i work in a heated garage.

I see! so you are having an issue with the door guts. there are several rivets and three torx head bolts that hold the assembly in. I suggest removing the assembly, cleaning it, lubricating it and bench testing it.

interchange is probably 95-97 CS only.

I see! so you are having an issue with the door guts. there are several rivets and three torx head bolts that hold the assembly in. I suggest removing the assembly, cleaning it, lubricating it and bench testing it.

interchange is probably 95-97 CS only.

hmm...ok, thats what i wanted to know...thanks

• 2 years later...

I have same problem thought it might be the handle linkage now I know it's the latch fortunately have the inner panel off but may need the latch assembly blowup view to figure out how to open. Question how did you eventually open your door? Drive on a bumpy road?

I wouldn`t mind seeing that thread Crazy K unfortunatly its been 404`d. Old thread I know but isnt it prefered to bump an old one vs making a new one if its still on topic?

I wouldn`t mind seeing that thread Crazy K unfortunatly its been 404`d. Old thread I know but isnt it prefered to bump an old one vs making a new one if its still on topic?

X2 - I have a problem with my door where it doesn't want to close all the way sometimes (with a normal push or pull) - belongs in That thread though...

I remember that thread, but can't remember enough to find it in the search. I have had really good success at adjusting these handles so I don't have issues when opening or closing them. I know I have had all sorts of problems before I got them to adjust properly.