Blower Motor Resistor

Artemis

Hey guys, I bought a replacement blower motor resistor as my heat has only worked on high for quite some time. I knew the general area it exists, but when I finally went to look... well, how the hell do I get at it? My smallest ratchet is too big, the 3 bolts are 5.5mm right? A small extension is too long and hits the plastic guard thing thats under the carpet. Just curious how people have replaced this in the past. Is there some special tool required or some crazy angle I'm just not seeing?

Yes, the bolts are 5.5 mm. I cheated a little when I did mine. I pulled out the fan motor, then removed the 2 bolts that I could actually access, then carefully broke the resistor pack out. Then I was able to use a pair of needle nose pliers to loosen up the remaining bolt. When i reassembled it, i just put the 2 bolts back in and left out the third. Worked really good, and if it ever fails again, it will be just that much easier to replace.

Before you replace the resistor pack, check the terminals for corrosion. I only had the high fan setting and though the resistor went. When I removed it, the terminals were really corroded. Just remove the connector and use a mirror to check them out, and if they are dirty just use a small file or brush to clean them up. I grease the terminals aswell, since there seems to be a lot of moisture there.

BTW, when I removed the pack, I just used a 7/32 socket and a tiny 1/4" drive rachet, with a 2" extension.