Swap DIC into '95 GP SE *UPDATED YEAR*

alec_b

Hi guys-

Forgive me if this in posted in the wrong area, I didn't see anything for electrical mods, just audio. I just picked up a '95 Grand Prix SE, 3100. 92k miles on it, great shape. It's got a decent amount of options for an SE: power drivers seat, alloy wheels, etc, but other than that it's pretty basic.

One thing I was curious about was adding the DIC that was available. I'm having trouble locating one, however. Also, what amount of work would be needed to install this other than the usual "remove the pocket install the dic" stuff. If it's going to take a ton of work I'll probably just pass on it, but I thought it'd be cool anyways.

Thanks guys!

Wow thanks for the replies guys. I'll have to check out the dash and see if there's any wiring back there.

That's too bad about the '96 only thing... it's gonna be a pain to find.

I do like the car though, rides very nice. It's my first W-body. I'm coming from a long line of GM rides: K-body (1994 seville) G-body (1996 Aurora) H-body (1996 Bonneville SSEi) and another G (1999 Seville). I like the way the W-body drives, it's a little lighter than the bigger lines but handles well and has great brakes.

Thanks for all the help, again. Have a great day!

RE: pre-wired DICs.

This came up in a discussion, and this MIGHT be the case... I thought for a while that the car would have to have performance sound to have a DIC. this is NOT the case. In fact, I recently analyzed two GPs that did not have pre-wiring. what was common between them? NEITHER HAD ABS. Could be the answer!

well then, tell us, if you car does or does not have ABS, and then see if you do or do not have the harness???

holy shit you must know me, all of the cars you have had are my absolute favorite.

I love auroras,

I love cadillac sevilles and eldorados,

I love Bonnevilles.

I would like to get a 96 Riviera someday also though lol.

I say very good taste on GM luxury :mrgreen:

Ha thanks.

I double checked the year, I actually have a '95. No, it doesn't not have ABS. Guess that means I'm not wired. Is it now becoming a '95 only part? That's gonna be impossible to find.

Ha thanks.

I double checked the year, I actually have a '95. No, it doesn't not have ABS. Guess that means I'm not wired. Is it now becoming a '95 only part? That's gonna be impossible to find.

You can use a '94-'95 DIC.

Ha thanks.

Please double check if you have wiring! it is still only a theory!

You know what, I just installed a radio the other night and completely forgot to look for the wiring! Guess I'll be taking the dash apart again, at least they made it easy to take off. I have to take it apart anyways, the puppy spilled an entire can of arizona fruit punch all over the console! Needless to say the shifter doesn't work as smoothly as it once did...

Oh wait does that install on the pocket on the LEFT of the cluster? I for some reason thought it went above the center dash vents in that pocket.

So all I have to do is look through the access door on the drivers side of the dash and look for... what exactly. A male plug end just dangling there?

If I don't have wiring, I'm sure it's not that hard to add a few power, ground, and bus wires. However, will the data line in my car carry the information that's required to operate the DIC? I'd hate to wire it all up, especially from scratch, and have it not work.

Oh wait does that install on the pocket on the LEFT of the cluster? I for some reason thought it went above the center dash vents in that pocket.

So all I have to do is look through the access door on the drivers side of the dash and look for... what exactly. A male plug end just dangling there?

If I don't have wiring, I'm sure it's not that hard to add a few power, ground, and bus wires. However, will the data line in my car carry the information that's required to operate the DIC? I'd hate to wire it all up, especially from scratch, and have it not work.

Hidden in the FAQ HUD thread are the instructions to install the DIC. Yes the car will be DIC ready. I even stuck on in a CS, so have others....

1997+ GPs have a DIC on the right side above the vents. The spot is eerily similar.

That's great! It's even ready for the temp signal? I bet I'll have to add a temp sensor for that... but I don't mind that not working so much although it'd be cool.

I'll read through the HUD faq and see what I find. Thanks!

If you car is not pre-wired, you will have to follow through what I wrote in the HUD FAQ.

Temp sensor and wire must be added. I do not know if a pre-wired car is fully prewired to the sensor or just the dash harness only. Adding the temp sensor requires getting a sensor from behind the bumper of a donor car(found on any CS with automatic climate controls) the wires from the sensor to the junction block(C200) under the right side of the dash. the harness is part of the headlight harness on a CS and GP. What i did was dismantle a donor car's harness and ran the wires in parrallel to where to hook up to the dash harness.

If it is pre-wired, the harness will be stuck way back and rolled up, taped together. You will have to feel around a bit, but if you find a bunch of wiring that appears to be taped for no good reason, undo the tape and see if you find a plug.

I'll have to look for that wiring one of these days. Hopefully it's wired, but if it's not no big deal. I just thought it'd be a cool thing to have. Thanks for all the help!

Oh, and after reading that FAQ, am I correct in assuming that my '95 is also wired up for the HUD? That was my single most favorite feature in my SSEi (except for that supercharger whine, of course).

I'll have to look for that wiring one of these days. Hopefully it's wired, but if it's not no big deal. I just thought it'd be a cool thing to have. Thanks for all the help!

Oh, and after reading that FAQ, am I correct in assuming that my '95 is also wired up for the HUD? That was my single most favorite feature in my SSEi (except for that supercharger whine, of course).

It's all or nothing man! Go find out, NOW!