Odd first-gen coupe door handle/lock problem.

jaustinbell

Yesterday my sister broke the driver's side door handle in her 1996 Grand Prix coupe. I replaced it, but after poking around the door I found that the key does not unlock it from the outside. The key will lock it, the power lock function will lock and unlock it, and the interior lock switch will lock and unlock it. I'm assuming that she broke the handle because she thought she had unlocked the door with her key, but hadn't, and yanked on the handle until it broke. I took the interior door panel off to try and fix the lock mechanism. The issue appears to be where the rod comes from the lock cylinder down the side of the door and into the door frame--the connection of the rod to the main lock mechanism seems to be compromised. I can't see it though, because luckily for me, that's hidden deep within the door frame. I'm going to try and use WD-40 on it, and then I may try and replace the entire lock mechanism (held in by pop rivets, of course). Anybody who is more familiar with this system or has seen this before have any advice? She blew two brake lines yesterday morning too--the steel line to the passenger side rear and the hose to the passenger side front.