Adding stock keyless entry

3pt1lumina

I see some of you guys are adding stock key fobs and keyless entry to your cars. I am curious as to what I would need to get from a yard in order to do this. My Monte has keyless entry already, but it would be nice to have on my 97 Lumina when it's freezing cold and I'm trying to get in fast.

Give me the low down, I'm curious. Thanks.

I would like to do the same but it looks difficult to install. When i bought my car, it never came with remotes but i thought most of our vehicles were already equipped with keyless entry. Then i noticed my Service Parts Indentification tag didnt show the code "AU0." So my car never came with it. :frown:

I added a 97+ RKE box into my 96 Lumina and it wasn't that bad. I did a writeup in my thread. You can see it here:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=79508.0

Basically everything works great except for I could never figure out how to wire it up so that just the drivers door unlocked with one press of the unlock button. But unlocking all doors with a single press works just fine for me.

Damn cubs I was just about to post your write up. :lol:

Hey did you ever gets yours working right?

Also I would advise not to use those wire tap things that I used because I had a issue with the one I used on the unlock wire and would cause the power lock fuse to blow. I cut that wire tap out and sliced in the wire in another location and its been working great ever sense.

Thanks for the thought cubs, Honestly I haven't had time to look into it. It works fine with the fob, but i just don't use the lock switch in the vehicle. I use the fob to lock the doors once I get in. I remember a week ago when I tried to unlock the car form the inside without the fob that it just caused the interior lights to dim, and not unlock the car. I will look back at the lock unlock wires and take out the taps, and use something else. I think if i remember correct the lock switch in the car will work, but if you hit the unlock part it will blow the fuse.

Thanks for the thought cubs, Honestly I haven't had time to look into it. It works fine with the fob, but i just don't use the lock switch in the vehicle. I use the fob to lock the doors once I get in. I remember a week ago when I tried to unlock the car form the inside without the fob that it just caused the interior lights to dim, and not unlock the car. I will look back at the lock unlock wires and take out the taps, and use something else. I think if i remember correct the lock switch in the car will work, but if you hit the unlock part it will blow the fuse.

Hijacking the thread here but.....

Ya, mine worked fine until you said yours was blowing your unlock fuse so I went out and pressed my unlock button like 5 times in a row and then my fuse blew :willynilly: I just cut out the tap and spliced in my wire and its been great ever sense. Still cannot figure out what would have went wrong. I blame the stupid wire taps :lol:

Also, I put my RKE box in the stock location on the rear deck but if I did it again I would probably just stick it under the dash somewhere because you only need to run one wire from the trunk and the rest are under the dash. Could have saved some time and money for the wire.

Thanks Cubs, I check the taps soon once school lets out for the summer.

3.1lumina,

You can do what cubs is referring to about sticking the rke brain under the dash. I did that just because I was lazy and didnt want to run wires from the front to the back. I thought it was easier just to hook the wires in the front to the brain, and then later run wires from the trunk actuator to the rke brain under the dash. I have yet to do it, but its only requires 3 wires to do so. I just been using the door bell switch that I wired in to get the trunk to pop. I know people will laugh at the idea, but its a simple momentary switch, which is what its supposed to be.

I just been using the door bell switch that I wired in to get the trunk to pop.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That is awesome....

Oh and out of the three wires for the trunk pop, two wires go to the switch under the steering wheel and only one wire goes to the actuator on the trunk lid. You might be able to trace that actuator wire in a harness under the dash too.

Cool write up. I will have to mess with it once the weather gets warmer it seems a bit involved for right now. Thanks for the info!

Ya it's not that bad but if its cold out it would suck if you don't have a heated garage. For some reason you can't find a RKE box I have an extra but they should be very easy to find.

Well, I do have a heated garage buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut it's kind of full............

3cargarage.jpg

From right to left, my dad's Laguna, my Z34 then my Laguna. The garage is 21' wide and the cars measure 20.3 wide. (me and Galen (9lumina6) put them in there like that) They literally are mirror to mirror. I have to crawl out the trunk of the Z to get out of the car...and you cannot walk between them AT ALL.

I could do it inside at work, but once my time is up there I just want to get home.

cubsfan24, thanks for the offer on the box. Do you have to get a box with the same transmitters or will any ones work? My Z only had 1 transmitter and we have a box at work that I went through, found two that had the same serial numbers and coded them to my car.

:lol: at your garage. I have no garage and have to park on a gravel driveway. If I had a garage I would park in that sucker.

No you can use other remotes. I just got a remote off of ebay for a 97+ Lumina and programmed it to the RKE box I got at the junk yard. Like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-99-LUMINA-CAVALIER-GRAND-AM-REMOTE-16207901-5_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f03af755QQitemZ300383139669QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_631wt_1165

I think this took me more time in research than it did to actually wire the car up. I think if I had to do it again I could do it in a hour or two. It seems like a complicated task but it isn't that bad. If you only wanted to get the unlock/lock to work then you would only have to hook up four wires. The unlock wire, lock wire, power and ground. All of which are on the lock relay under the dash. Adding the trunk is only three wires and isn't bad. The hardest part was wiring up the interior lights to come on when you unlock it. I took the headlight switch out and had to stick my large hand in there and try to get to the wires. I don't see any reason why you would need to hook those wires up though.

Also if anyone has any idea how to wire it so one press of the unlock button unlocks the drivers door and two presses unlocks all doors let me know.

Also if anyone has any idea how to wire it so one press of the unlock button unlocks the drivers door and two presses unlocks all doors let me know.

The tan wire goes to the driver's door lock actuator. That wire does not go back to the power lock relay.

The tan wire goes to the driver's door lock actuator. That wire does not go back to the power lock relay.

According to the wiring diagram that is correct but I tried that and it did not work. I tapped into the tan wire on the drivers front foot well and it did not work. I also took the door apart and tied it right into the actuator (I tried cutting the tan wire to just connect it to the RKE box and tapping it into the tan wire). I guess I need to go to the junkyard and try to trace it back but it really isn't a huge deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up one of these a few months ago on fleabay, NOS. Comes with the black box, two remotes and instructions. I don't know if I want to install it though. It's a birds nest of wires.

keylessentry-1.jpg