Power Drain Issue

Ned Flanders

Car had some slow starts then last week it refused - got the click click click. Jumpstarted and it kicked over n the first key turn. Mechanic checked everything, alternator, starter, etc, said the car was holding a strong charge. Drove it two hours away. Didn't have any more problems. The Buick started up fine this weekend...then this morning I got in and it cranked slowly, but turned over.

This is only happening after I don't drive it for a few hours, and infrequently at that. All battery connections good, can't see any frayed wires, no security light. Am I missing something? I keep leaning towards the starter, but it's not the usual cycle you get, and the jumpstart doesn't figure into that either.

What condition is your battery in? How old is it? Did your mechanic do a load test on it?

Sounds like if the battery is good you have a parasatic draw. You'll need to connect a multimeter in series with the battery and start pulling fuses. Once the fuse you pull knocks the draw down to where it should be you'll need to isolate in that circuit what is causing the problem.

I don't know of many parasatic draw issues with old GMs so I'd say either an aftermarket accessory isn't turning off, or you have a battery that is shitty even though it checked out alright.

my DLG in the MC is strong as fuck.... as long as the car is started and run at least once a week.

after 2 weeks, nothing. it will run the chime module, but that's about it.

normal power draw should be ~.03Amps or less with no doors open/lights on. at least that's what is considered normal for me.

Mine is so damned infrequent it's not even funny. It cranked a few times this morning and turned over. The weather's so frigid here I thought it wouldn't start after work but I turned the key and away we went.

Check out all the connections, including the alternator connections, starter connections and the auxiliary post near the driver side strut tower. Also, make sure that your glove box light, trunk light and under hood light are not staying on. If you have an aftermarket remote starter or alarm, you could try disconnecting that for a bit and seeing what happens.

• 1 month later...

This may be a bit of luck, but we'll see. After sitting in subzero temperatures overnight, the car started fine this morning. But when I went to get it after work, click click click.

A buddy of mine jumpstarted it, and I ran it to Autozone where I was told the battery test failed. This was after I'd been told in December that everything was fine and I must have a draw. Then I drove it for over a month with no problems.

Since Autozone wouldn't replace it, tomorrow is new battery day. I figure I'll start with that and make sure all the connections are clean and tight.

This may be a bit of luck, but we'll see. After sitting in subzero temperatures overnight, the car started fine this morning. But when I went to get it after work, click click click.

A buddy of mine jumpstarted it, and I ran it to Autozone where I was told the battery test failed. This was after I'd been told in December that everything was fine and I must have a draw. Then I drove it for over a month with no problems.

Since Autozone wouldn't replace it, tomorrow is new battery day. I figure I'll start with that and make sure all the connections are clean and tight.

Could be a bad cell?

I'll ask about that. The battery in there just went out of warranty (surprise). It was an Interstate. I will go back to the AutoZone brand from now on.

Yeah, because when you jump it the car immediately starts right up.