96 Regal Heater trouble

grtpumpkin

Changed out my thermostat today figuring it was my reason for no heat. Well I should have noticed the engine temp was normal but just no heat. So I wasted an hour of my time to find out the stat is not the problem. Apparently the heater control or something related to it is the problem. When I slide the dial all the way to hot the temperature comes out cool. If I slide it back a couple clicks it blows warmer and sometimes hot. I even slid it all the way to cold and it came out warm. I've also had it blow from warm to cool to back to warm without even touching the controls. As far as I know this is completely manual climate control and not automatic.

Anyone experience this problem with their W Body?

R.

Does changing the from defrost to vent, etc work? I don't know if the blend doors are vacuum operated in your car or not. It sounds like the blend doors are stuck, causing it to screw around. Either that, your heater core is plugged or not working for some silly reason. But it does sound like the heat selection is not working correctly.

The mode functions work. They are all vaacum operated. The temperature control is 2 electrical actuators. 1 for passenger and 1 for driver. I wonder if it could be the heater control itself. Most of the button lights do not work. I checked both heater hoses and they are very hot so I ruled out the heater core. Don't know how difficult the actuators are to get at. Anyone???

Need a nice pictorial like the directional switch thread.

Fixed it. Before going into too much more diaging, I decided to buy a heater control off E-Bay. It took all of 5 minutes and $32.00 to swap the unit out, and Bingo, works perfect. The slide control on the replacement feels much more like a new unit. When I move the slide control it has definite clicks to it now. The old one feels like no resistance at all when adjusting the temp. I guess that's what 235K miles can do to some of this stuff.