Has your W-body ever fixed itself?

Octavarium454

My experience with W-bodies has been an enjoyable one. Besides my 95 GTP that ate up 3 separate motors in 3 consecutive months, I have had surprisingly good luck with them. However, my recently saved from the pits of hell 97 GTP is definitely an oddball. I got it all put back together and I had a ton of problems. First off, my shifter had a tendency for getting stuck in park when you first would start the car and you would spend 5 minutes rocking it back and forth to get it into gear, then I could not make any boost or the motor would act like it was choking to death (woot top speed of 70 mph!) and my SES would flash. Now, no more than 1 month later my shifter gives me no problems whatsoever and suddenly today I went to go to school and it took off like a raped ape once I started building boost. I drove it around for about 30 minutes just hammering on it just to see if it was a fluke, but alas, my problem ceases to exist. Now I am hoping my LIM gasket leak fixes itself :lol:. Just wondering if anything convenient such as this has happened to you guys with your cars.

PS: I like the boost :biggrin:

Some of the time, actually yes mine do fix themselves. Not every time but there are times where I'll have some problem for a couple of weeks then all the sudden I will never have the problem again. Works for me!

My old 93 Lumina Euro had parasitic draw back in HS. I found which fuse it was on and then pulled that fuse and stuck in two wires in place of the fuse and connected them to a switch mounted on the glovebox door. Every time I shut the car off I'd flip the switch to keep the battery up, but after a couple years the draw cleared up. Odd because everything still worked on the car.

Passengers would always ask what the switch did. I always said it was to arm my nitrous system :lol:. So then they would always throw the switch and the radio would instantly start blaring static loudly making the person freak and throw the switch back.

My aunt's Cutlass did it quite a bit. She had a 3100 '97 CS Sedan, and on long highway trips, it would drink oil. Between here and Indianapolis (four hours), it used a quart and a half of oil. Around town, it uses none.

yeah i seem to have things fix themselves for my Ws. Well its either that or i just get used to problems and i just dont realize them anymore. lol i just cant recall anything specific right now.

The transmission on the Cutty started shifting really really hard and clunking when it shifted. It did it for about a week, I'd come to terms with the trans being broken and then it started shifting perfectly again. One day, 2 weeks after, I was ranting and raving to my girlfriend how it was so great it stopped hard shifting, when we went to the car shortly after and it was hard shifting again. But stopped later that day. Hasn't since, been about a month. The miracle self fixing 4t60e...

My old 93 Lumina Euro had parasitic draw back in HS. I found which fuse it was on and then pulled that fuse and stuck in two wires in place of the fuse and connected them to a switch mounted on the glovebox door. Every time I shut the car off I'd flip the switch to keep the battery up, but after a couple years the draw cleared up. Odd because everything still worked on the car.

Passengers would always ask what the switch did. I always said it was to arm my nitrous system :lol:. So then they would always throw the switch and the radio would instantly start blaring static loudly making the person freak and throw the switch back.

ZOMG U GOT NAWS?!?! :rice: :lol: i spit out my mt dew when i read that lol.

The rear suspension on my cutlass got way worse sounding AFTER i replaced the struts, mounts, trailing arms, and monoleaf pads. It sounded clunky as hell for about a few months... then one day I drove it down a bumpy dirt road for a while and when I left it was a lot quieter. Just needed that persuasion to fix itself? :lol:

Oh and my low oil level light was on last month, and it was full of course seeing as she never burns more than half a quart in 3k miles. After a day it went off and hasn;t returned. GM electrical engineering wonders.

Oh and my low oil level light was on last month, and it was full of course seeing as she never burns more than half a quart in 3k miles. After a day it went off and hasn;t returned. GM electrical engineering wonders.

that one can be explained by GM's way of testing oil level... if you park it on an incline, it will almost always get set.

there's some goofy method for it, if anyone really wnats to know, message me, reference this post, something.

since ALLDATA refuses to give decent info on the 98 3800 setup, i substituted the 98 3100 setup, since we're all of the consensus that when OBD2 happened, the 3x00 and 3800 programs pretty much merged.

you can see the differences in how it tests, and how the 94-95 3100 setup can give false warnings easily.

this is most likely a sign of a failing alternator but what gets me is that its an intermittent problem, so could it really be the alternator? wouldnt it have died by now?. I will be driving along and all of a sudden everything will dim and my voltage will drop to like 10v and then jump back up to around 13.8 where it should be...and it will repeatedly do this like every 30 seconds. This usually only lasts maybe a day... but then it will seem to fix itself and not rear its ugly head for a few months. I have made sure the connections at the battery and aux post are both clean and tightened and i unhooked my amp just to make sure it wasnt that and it made no difference that i unhooked it.

I've had plenty of times where things fix themselves (which usually is a warning sign :lol:) and then all of a sudden they let loose a lot worse than the first time, kinda like a calming before the storm lol :willynilly: