removing cat

Chinski

I am betting that my cat could use replacement. I would not be surprised if I still have the original one on my car. I have been considering gutting it but I am sure I will have to saw it off, so that makes it a bit more of a challenge to get it back on. Now I am thingking of just replacing it with a pipe or ??? I read on other posts here that there is a bit of a low end loss. How bad is it? Someone mentioned using a glasspack in place or a turbo tube. What about these? How expensive/what kind? I replaced my muffler with a stock-type one recently, how loud would just a pipe to the muffler be? I don't want it obnoxious but a bit louder would be cool.

This isn't as much of a performance mod for me, more just a cheap fix.

You will loose alot of backpressure going to just a straight pipe which will also end up being louder than putting on a glasspack. The glasspack will keep some backpressure and add a more deeper tone, making the overall sound quieter. Im not sure on how it will sound with the stock muffler on.

I don't know how many times I have to say this, but backpressure is bad. It's not the loss of backpressure that hurts low end torque.

I don't have a cat. I probably did lose a bit of low end, but my car never had much to begin with so I didn't really notice. The gain in the high end was more than worth it. The cat definitely deepens the tone and prevents popping. If you yank it out or gut it, you may want to consider adding a glasspack. Expect to spend $50 to have your car cut out and a glasspack welded in its place.

Tim

I don't know how many times I have to say this, but backpressure is bad. It's not the loss of backpressure that hurts low end torque.

I don't have a cat. I probably did lose a bit of low end, but my car never had much to begin with so I didn't really notice. The gain in the high end was more than worth it.

Turbo, right??? can we say backpressure??? your turbo provides a shitload of backpressure.... im not sure if you were tlaking about b4 your turbo, but as it sits with the turbo, i dont think you can really say that you felt a diff... unless that is cuz of spooling reasons due to backpressure after the turbo.... In which case this whole argument is irrelevant cuz your comparing apples and oranges.

just my $.02

- Justin

Ok, I did this same mod not too long ago on my 88 GP. I ended up doing it out of necessity. The pipe was rusted out just behind the cat and when I went to fix it the entire cat dropped right out from under the car. I just replaced it with a section of straight pipe that is about 3 feet long. I have a stock muffler on it and it did get just a bit louder but nothing worth noting as negative. It's NOT loud at all. As far as the bottom end lacking, I didn't notice much of a difference but it really starts to pull on the mid and top now. Just to let you know, I have almost 200,000 miles on this thing so that might be one of the reasons I didn't feel any loss on the bottom.

So do you guys think I would get a noticable increase in mid and high range torque if i dropped the cat on my 3.1 MPFI with stock exhaust system and performance muffler?

SmoothSteve3

1990 Chevy Lumina

3.1 Liter V-6

Ride on White Lightning

So if I put a glasspack on in the cat's place do I still keep my muffler on?

God yes! It will be loud as hell without the muffler. :wink: You shouldn't loose a whole lot at all if you put a straight pipe on. Nothing noticeable anyway.

And just for the record, timg is right. Backpressure = bad. :D :D :D