What can I get for it?

jmoore4294

So back in....March my 95 Cutlass blew a head gasket on me. And instead of fixing it up, I decided it was time to go buy a "new" car. Problem is....I never got rid of the cutlass. It's been sitting in my driveway for 9 months now. But a guy drove down my road today and saw it sitting with no plates. I wasn't home, but he talked to my dad and he said he was interested in it even in it's current condition. Obviously it has a bad head gasket(s). Some body rust. And a bit over 200k miles on the odometer. It's an Iowa car brought down south about a year ago, so there is a little more than body rust underneath. It does have new tires (which have gone flat from sitting) and new brake lines and brakes (the hard lines rusted out 2 weeks after I got it and I had them replaced). Other than that the interior is in fantastic condition for it's age. And when it wasn't broken it ran perfectly fine. The elderly couple who I bought it from, the husband was a mechanic. So knowing this, what could I set as a starting price. Obviously I'm not looking to get my $700 dollars back that I paid for it. But $220 at least to make a car payment on my other car would be nice. Think I could go higher or is that, for lack of a better term, raping whomever would buy it for that? Sorry for the long post. lol. Let me know. Thanks.

you might be able to get 300, if throw 300 at him, and if he doesnt bite then he was probably thinking 100$ but if he is thinking 200, He could counter offer you 250.

should be able to get ~$300-500 around here depending on how well equipped it is ....are you sure it the head gasket and not just the LIM gaskets?

No. I never had someone look at it. However it was running horribly one day about a mile from my house, then cut off going down my road. When I got home I checked all the fluids, and I had little to no anti freeze, and the oil was milky. Which if I retained anything from high school automotive, means my head gasket(s) were blown. I'll call him up and start at $300 and see where it goes.

And here's a few pics for Buck before he hurts himself! lol.

SNC00057.jpg

SNC00074.jpg

Carpics015.jpg

Carpics011.jpg

Carpics006.jpg

Carpics007.jpg

should be able to get ~$300-500 around here depending on how well equipped it is ....are you sure it the head gasket and not just the LIM gaskets?

No. I never had someone look at it. However it was running horribly one day about a mile from my house, then cut off going down my road. When I got home I checked all the fluids, and I had little to no anti freeze, and the oil was milky. Which if I retained anything from high school automotive, means my head gasket(s) were blown. I'll call him up and start at $300 and see where it goes.

And here's a few pics for Buck before he hurts himself! lol.

SNC00057.jpg

SNC00074.jpg

Carpics015.jpg

Carpics011.jpg

Carpics006.jpg

Carpics007.jpg

Probably the LIM gasket on this motor... The 3100 isn't known for eating head gaskets... But if all the antifreeze went into the oil and you drove it until it quit, the bearings are probably shot/very close to being shot anyhow... $250-300 sounds like a fairly good price for it...

Mmm!! I've never seen seats like those.

Did you buy it with the tinted reverse bar, colored grilles, and Pontiac inlay?

Nope. I had FLIP on GPONA do the reverse bar and 3rd brake light (he's doing my tails as we speak) and I bought the SPO grilles from another member on GPONA and the arrowhead inlay from reflective concepts. Also have the rear pontiac lettering inlay from them as well. I did have the front but they came off....

Mmm!! I've never seen seats like those.

Did you buy it with the tinted reverse bar, colored grilles, and Pontiac inlay?

Nope. I had FLIP on GPONA do the reverse bar and 3rd brake light (he's doing my tails as we speak) and I bought the SPO grilles from another member on GPONA and the arrowhead inlay from reflective concepts. Also have the rear pontiac lettering inlay from them as well. I did have the front but they came off....

Looks great!!

I fully intend on having him do mine as well.

How much did it cost?

Let's see....for him to paint the reverse bar and the third brake light with the words "GRAND PRIX GT" was $65 plus shipping. And for the medium tint tails he's doing for me now it's $95 plus shipping.