Tony's Parts Galore II 284 Pull Thread: Part 1, NEED HELP!

5speedz34

I found a '91 Cutlass with a 3.4/284 combo. VIN: 1G3WH14X6MD372179

INFO: http://www.compnine.com/vid.php?vin=1G3WH14X6MD372179+

The car is pretty base overall. Unfortunately being a '91 I can't verify the mileage. I will cut to the chase though.

I have a feeling that the car has low miles (there is an oil change sticker saying it has 65k in 2005). The selector cable is broke and I have a feeling that's what made it sit and then end up in the yard.

Saturday I have made arrangements to pull everything with a buddy.

I want to pull: Harness, MEM-CAL, Shifter, Cables, Trans, Clutch, Hydraulics, Flywheel, 5speed specific brackets, and mounts, AIR pump, wheel well splash guards (another sign pointing to low miles), cluster, pedals, and the firewall plate.

I have a general idea but I need Ken, Dinunz, and others to help with a step by step. Time is of the essence!

My plan is to unbolt all the mounts below the car, drop the cradle mounts and have the engine and trans sitting on the ground. My real concern is pulling the mount underneath the crank pulley, the firewall plate and the pedals. Also, what do I need to do to avoid fucking up the clutch hydraulics and getting the engine and trans separated? I know alot of people have had problems not getting the 284 to come off the engine.

unbolt the slave from the trans, pop the rubber dust plug out and pull the throwout arm away from the center of the clutch with pliers as you seperate the motor and trans.

is it a pm3 car?

No non-abs. I figured that was the way to disconnect the engine/trans. I wish I could grab the engine I have a good feeling it's a crate replacement.

I don't really know how to explain it, I've always just did it. but to pull the firewall plate and pedal bracket the dash needs to come out. search my username and you'll find my old 5 speed swap threads that should at least give some good pictures of how to dismantle and/or reassemble one of these cars. above all, don't let the clutch hydraulics get damaged, they are expensive to replace should you ever need to.

My only concern is dropping the cradle with the engine and struts. Just unbolt the cradle mounts, then the strut bolts and intermediate shaft bolt, and watch it drop 2-3 feet?!

My only concern is dropping the cradle with the engine and struts. Just unbolt the cradle mounts, then the strut bolts and intermediate shaft bolt, and watch it drop 2-3 feet?!

Something is going to break if you do that.

Something is going to break if you do that.

Well it was my understanding from Chris when I talked to him on the phone to do it that way.

If that is a concern rent one of those junkyard engine lift things to let it down

That's what I was thinking after I thought about it, LOL.

Just land the loaded subframe on some tires

Not really an option, as there are no tires there.

Not really an option, as there are no tires there.

grab some tires off the for sale rack on the way back.....use them then bring them back when you are done

Is this at the front of the yard?

FAIL!!!! I gave TONY a d step by step the other day and he deleted it accidently.

I will have to write it out again, but when I have time.

Well I'm not going until Saturday.

Cool find, very rare! Can you get a picture of the SPID label, and maybe a few of the complete car when you return? Make sure you unbolt the good remaining cable from the tranny before dropping it down, unless you wanna have two broken cables.. You might want to separate the clutch line at the quick connect fitting. This will seal the fluid into the master and slave cylinders and you won't have to worry about carrying the thing as a complete unit. You didn't mention them, but I assume you are going to also grab the boot/knob/ and 5 speed specific console plate.

Steve

The console plate was missing. But yes I will grab everything else.

Check my link on the first page, it gives a link to the build sheet.

Where is the quick connect fitting? The big round things?

Would prolly be super tight if it did fit.

I had a Oldsmobile 455 engine in the trunk of my old '95 Lumina and it closed shut. *shrugs*

I have had an olds 455 block in my Intrigue trunk too!