97 GTP shifter has an issue unlocking

Octavarium454

When I go to leave anywhere in my car, I usually have to spend about a minute shaking the shifter around in order for it to unlock and let me push down the button so I can put it into gear. Yes, I do have the brake pushed in. Is there anyway I can delete this safety feature? Otherwise what could it be that is causing the issue? I wouldn't mind it to much but I know one of these days it just isn't going to go into gear at all and of course on that day it will either be raining or freezing cold.

in my formula it was tricky and i had to take everything off and just clean the gunk out of it. it looked like coke had spilled in there a few times.

i know my buick has a button on the side you can push down to release the shifter, the pontiac may have something similar.

I believe if its not just gunked up, it would be the Neutral Safety Switch that would cause problems letting you take the car out of gear. Thats what tells the shifter the brake is pushed so you can take it out of gear.

Im pretty sure that would be the first place i would check.

To disable it, i know in my care, there is just a plug you can actually disconnect. However, this will let you take it out of gear at any time, running, or not with or w/o the brake engaged. So it can be easily knocked into/out of gear. I have no idea if its the same on your GP.

Nah man it isn't the key but the problem seems to be fixing itself (which is definitely a first for this car). Maybe my LIM vacuum leak could its self also lol along with the hole in the resonator. I've had the thing sitting in the garage for almost 2 months trying to save the damn thing from certain death so I'm thinking it just needs to be used. I had cleaned the whole shifter area when I stripped the interior to power wash it so I know for a fact that is not the problem. But like I said it is getting better, and I only had to fight it for about 2 seconds when I first went outside to leave for school on a 15 degree morning, the rest of the day it gave me no troubles.