Can't get key to turn - please help

NCMCSS

I have a 2000 Grand Prix and am having some trouble with the ignition key. It started by having trouble to remove the key at times. Yesterday, I was able to remove the key just fine but I am not able to turn it once I put it in the ignition. I cannot start the car. It dings when I put the key in, it just won't turn.

Have any of you had this same trouble?

How did you fix it?

I appreciate your help.

Glen

Sometimes, I have a problem with the button sticking on my shifter. Check the make sure that it is not stuck in.

Also, try turning your steering wheel left and right. Sometimes, it will lock at a weird angle, and make it hard to turn.

Good luck

I have tried the turning the wheel thing....still no

I have tried checking the shifter button, just have not taken it apart

I think that video will help alot when I get the car to start again

still having trouble and I appreciate all of your help.

I am still having trouble though

Please help again/more....whatever

Dumb question...But what kind of shape is your key in? My Dad's company has an 03 chevy truck where the key is worn down to the point where you really need to play with it and pull it back slightly to get it to turn.

It is possible that your key is worn just enough to cause issues?

I have had this issue with my 97 Regal to often, At one point i had to leave the key in the ignition for over a week. thank god the car wouldnt start though.

Its the key lock cylinder, i think there is a relay that is energized that prevents the key from being removed. I remember removing battery power and restoring it to flip the relay and the key would pop out. Not to familiar with the 97+ wiring so i can't be sure. hopefully this points you in the right direction.

good luck.