whats the differenece Dealershipstruts vs KYB gr-2

sonyman87

OK im looking to buy new struts all the way around 1995 Lumina LS.. the dealership i went to said they wanted 750 bucks for the job :shock: not sure if he ment for the struts alone....

i looked up KYB GR-2 struts front 35.00each and back 57.00 each. grand total including shipping is 207.00 bucks :worship: .

Am i missing something? Should the springs also be changed when i change struts? anyone who has done this please help im short on cash and it needs to be done and im not going to settle for a cheep equipment on an overpriced job.

If i have to spend 1000 bucks it better ride like a million.

Your replays would be appriciated. Thanks

$750.00? And that's in US currency? Shit, I've never replaced the shocks or struts on a W-Body but for that price I'd try to do it myself. :)

I'm guessing that includes labour, they simply can't charge you that much for the parts alone!

You don't necessarily have to replace the springs when you replace the shocks. I'd recommend replacing the springs only if they're shot. I mean, you don't replace your rear transverse mono-leafspring simply because you're replacing the rear shocks, do you? Obviously not! :)

You can keep your springs but I would highly recommend replacing your strut mounts while you're at it.

OK im looking to buy new struts all the way around 1995 Lumina LS.. the dealership i went to said they wanted 750 bucks for the job :shock: not sure if he ment for the struts alone....

i looked up KYB GR-2 struts front 35.00each and back 57.00 each. grand total including shipping is 207.00 bucks :worship: .

Am i missing something? Should the springs also be changed when i change struts? anyone who has done this please help im short on cash and it needs to be done and im not going to settle for a cheep equipment on an overpriced job.

If i have to spend 1000 bucks it better ride like a million.

Your replays would be appriciated. Thanks

LMAO! well thats good! I went to get a diagnostic for something totally non suspension related and the dealer told me i needed new shocks all the way around with alignment for $1100 <-----------lmfao. I bought some from the local trak auto before it close for $14ea front inserts, and $23-25 for the rear shocks. They are working fine now with no problems. GR-2 are a stronger stiffer shock than a store bought but cost more money. Make sure you check your rear strut bearing plates for wear and movement if you have the NON COILOVER TYPE REAR SHOCKS. They move around alot when old and will make the car squirrely hitting bumps on the highway.

The KYB's on the TGP are stiff as hell, and the provide some damn good handling.

Only other vehicle I can compare to was the cutlass, and it's a night and day difference.

The KYB's on the TGP are stiff as hell, and the provide some damn good handling.

Only other vehicle I can compare to was the cutlass, and it's a night and day difference.

did you replase the springs aswell?

ok just priced new struts at the GM dealership in Springfield MO, they wanted 1185.81 for the job. $660.26 in parts alone!..

Just across town there was a mom pop shop that said they would do it for 750dollars.US currency. with Monroe struts..

Online i could get KYB GR-2 cartrige in the front for 35 each. and rear strut for 57 each. total 207.00 us currency much better then 660!!!

do you think i should buy these parts off Tirerack.com and bring them in when i go and get it done or maybe someone could tell me where or how to "fully assemble" these things so i can use them...

You can get a better price at a dealership, I put 4 struts in my car, monroe sensatrac on the front, 2 for about 90 bucks canadian, and ac delco on the rear, strut and mount assembly for about 200 canadian, as for labor, there is a special service tool for the front struts if you are just replacing the cartridge. Its a pretty easy job on the front if you have the tool.

The rear could be a little more difficult if you have any nuts/bolts siezed. Shouldn't even need an alignment for struts, it's a good Idea, but you could get away with it if you mark the position of the old rear struts in relation to the rest of the suspension and mounting hardware on the rear.

both monroe and ac delco are carried at my dealership, both have lifetime warranty.

600+ is obviously for GM OE struts. the ones above would be aprox 180 usc. at a dealership.

im currently living in a box they call a dorm, and i dont have time to do it myself or the tools.. and im not home longenough to be home to do it in my garage there. So im stuck droping it off somehwere to get it done..

you could order kyb's from pepboys, if yuo didn't want to do it yourself. Probably $60 per strut. Labor is $40 per strut and 4 wheel align is $55.

Or autozone has a w-body strut tool that you can rent for free.