Thinking About Buying A Regal

ZeeQuick

Need a good winter car, local guy has a 99 Regal GSE for sale. My dad's buddy is a mechanic and he has done all of the work on the car, guy has owned it since new. Its in pretty damn good shape, interior is mint, outside needs a good buff job, but no dents or rust. Runs and shifts perfect. Brand new Michelin tires. Needs front brakes, and the rear valve cover gasket is leaking. Otherwise the only negative is that its got 158,000 miles on it, mostly highway, guy's wife worked across town. Guy wants $2300 for it and will not budge. I really only wanted to spend $2000 on a beater, but this car is very nice and I know its been taken care of. Am I dumb to not jump all over this thing? I'd be hoping to get at least another 40,000 miles out of it.

Trans seemed to shift really well. He has had it serviced once, so it would definitely be on my list of things to do quickly if I buy it, along with the brakes and valve cover. Is there a recall on the back valve cover gasket too or just the front one?

My brother has a 99 GS with about 80,000 on it, and the car drove just as good as his does. This is probably a no brainer then eh? I may even end up liking it more than the GTO......well, maybe I shouldn't get that carried away.

:biggrin:

the recall is for the front one only, and they arent even replacing the gasket anymore from what i hear. they install a drip tray type thing i guess. :rolleyes:

yep seems like a no brainer if you dont mind doing a little work on it yourself!

Well everything seemed okay with the transmission when I drove it. What's the worst case scenario with the trans, what kind of $$$ are we looking at if it needs a rebuild or a re-man one put in?