Air Bag light coming on

RZB1992

So I'm still waiting on Eibach to send replacement rear springs for another Intrigue I'm working on, but in the mean time, I needed to get it out of my garage, so I took my old struts, cut a hollowed out metal pole to use in between the strut and strut mount, and put the car back together. I went to move it today, and the Air Bag light suddenly came on. Could this be from bouncing around so much??? Part of the driveway is gravel, and as you can imagine with just poles in the back with no springs the rear end was bouncing around a little hard. And what does the air bag light normally come on for? Bad sensor, or ...

I don't know the exact case with GM and Intrigues, but it generally means that your air bags will not deploy. For whatever reason, the system is pissed at you and feels it cannot safely do its job.

Maybe you pulled or clipped a sensor wire while working on it. Or maybe something is disconnected, sensor, air bag actuators, ground, etc.

Both the horn and the steering wheel controls work. Is there any wiring in the rear end area for air bags that could've been disturbed from the bouncing???

from what i learned in automotive classes in college, there isnt anything in the rear. they only have sensors in the front, the clockspring, air bag modules, wiring. there maybe wires that go to the front seats and/or seatbelts but thats it. id put a scan tool on it.

An air bag code reader.

Well, a Tech II or any upper aftermarket (like couple thousand $$$$) scantool will read body/ airbag codes.

$300 Actron always read codes fine when I used them. And yes, im talking about airbag, body codes and the like.

Think I've found my problem. We had a heavy amount of rain last night, the first since the car has been back outside, and I went in it today and found huge puddles in the passenger side and under the carpet. About 1/2 inch of water in every area, and the foam is ofcourse drenched. (stupid whetherstripping piece fell off where the cabin filter is). So am I pretty much f&$&ed here or could the air bag module be okay still? I vaccuumed all the water out and am letting the car dry in the sun right now - took seats out and all.

Alright, thanks. I'll pm you if I need it. I think I saved the one from the 98 I parted, but I have to find it. I'm still trying to let the car dry because everything was still soaked, but if I was to try unplugging the module, then plugging it back in, would that reset it at all? Could that potentially cause the airbags to go off? Any certain precautions I should take with all that? Rather not have one blow in my face.

I can't promise you that either way as I am (or anyone else for that matter) unsure how a SDM will react after its been wet, your best bet is to unhook the battery and turn the ignition to the on position then hook the battery back up, if the air bags deploy then you aren't in the car when it happens. Good luck!

Alright... Would it be better or worse to remove the fuse for it? (if there is one) in your opinion...I probably wont get to it till sometime this week, but the air bag light is one more step back.