fuel pump questions

MegaDestroyer

so iam gona get around to replacing my dead fuel pump in my 91 buick regal with a 3.1,just have some questions.i know the pump is in the gas tank and iam gona have to drop the tank and disconnect this and that,i was wondering if i should spend the 188$(which i dont have) for a new pump OR get one from a salvage yard,and if so, any car around 91 with a 3.1 use the same fuel pump?or are there variations even though its the same engine..?

DO NOT get a junkyard one. Waste of time. And don't spend $188 on one. I've put two in my 91 euro since I've owned it

(don't ask) and both were right around $75. Shop around

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Go here. Look up your car. I guessed that your's was a "Custom" and they ranged in price from ~$36 to ~$92. Figure about $10 shipping, MINUS the 5% discount that you can find online at any time. You're looking at a max of >$100

Screw dropping the tank on a car that age, cut a hole in the floor.

it's not bad as long as the tank is close to empty... not to mention you'll probably want to spray something all over it to prevent further corrosion...

and to get all the rust/gunk and whatever else is in there out.

hose the damn thing out, dry it and then you'll have less shit that can clog up the fuel system.

Don't cut a hole. do the job right. If you don;t have time for a mail order pump, advanced sells decent pumps for cheap enough.... but don;t buy one from Autozone.

THe last two I bought were a Bosch and a delphi. both are good.

An AC Delco replacement from rockauto.com is only around $70. Do a quick search here or on google for a 5% discount from there also.

Besides that, other brands are much cheaper at major part chains. Who gave you a quote of $188? I'm assuming a dealership?

If you live up north in the rust belt, do yourself a favor and spray down the strap bolts, fuel line connections, etc. with a penetrating spray. Also wear a pair of safety glasses as it's not fun to get rust/metal particles in your eyes!

AC Delco parts are turning cheap and shitty real fast. Supposedly they are rebadged Delph pumps, but Manic had his last two fail quickly on his van. they may be using master brand or chinese shit or something. remember, they just changed from WIX to champion labs e-core crap as their oil filter supplier... I'm sure they have done the same and will have outsourced a cheap supplier with their fuel pump. I will not be buying AC Delco parts much longer.

Delphi and bosch pumps work great!

AC Delco parts are turning cheap and shitty real fast. Supposedly they are rebadged Delph pumps, but Manic had his last two fail quickly on his van. they may be using master brand or chinese shit or something. remember, they just changed from WIX to champion labs e-core crap as their oil filter supplier... I'm sure they have done the same and will have outsourced a cheap supplier with their fuel pump. I will not be buying AC Delco parts much longer.

Delphi and bosch pumps work great!

If they were those cheap ebay pumps w/ the AC Delco part numbers....then those are chinese pumps. They list them to make you think they're ac delcos though...

My AC delco pump I installed in mid-year 2005 has been working great the past four years.

Ken, I think AC Delco still uses WIX somewhat...or there is a huge ass surplus of the wix AC Delco's because they keep restocking my local stores with the metal core wix filters.

thanks for the tips,i hadnt realized there were way cheaper pumps. you guys are great,il give you some more info, i live in Kelowna,British coulumbia.so all we got around here that i noticed was Lordco ( they quoted me on the fuel pump being 188) and napa,then places like crappy tire and what not.i havent seen to many other part places,but havent looked around to hard either.my tank is 3/4 full unfortunatley haha so thats gona suck.i dont have a credit card either so ordering pumps online is a little difficult..but my bro has one i guess he could... but all in all what has been said,shop around,fuck the salvage. thats what i mostly needed to know :biggrin: