Short in steering column?

supreme_style21

2002 Grand Prix GT

In January when I bought the car, I was driving and could hear some pretty loud cracks coming from somewhere. A friend riding with me swore she saw bright flashes from the steering column. I didn't see anything and pretty much blew it off as it never came around again.

Tonight I was driving home and tilted the steering wheel up and a shower of sparks spewed into my lap along with a big electrical crack sound. Kinda scared the shit out of me until I realized what was going on. The DIC flashed off for a split second. Everything else seemed to work and everything seems to work fine. Is there something common in this model year? I'm thinking I should probably look at it ASAP.

I would disconnect the battery ad start disassembling the column. The last thing you want to happen is to blow the airbags, To me it sounds like one of the ignition wires is shorting out in the column

Yeah it's on the column.

I didn't want to have to pull the steering wheel and whatnot. I'll see if I can get the plastic surround off and see what is in there, if anything

It kind of has to be the ignition switch, more to the point the Battery power feed to it. Nothing else up there should have fuses big enough to make big pretty sparks.