Cutlass headlights

hermannm

Dealer only my ass! I too have adjusted the headlights in my cutty sedan a number of times in the past. If your lenses are that pitted, just go to the parts yard or look on ebay for some in better condition.

Sedan lights are the same as 88-91 coupe lights except that 88 and 89 were glass.

It's true they say the dealer needs to adjust them, and that's because there's no leveler or gauge. The service tech is supposed to attach some kind of device with level gauges to those little nipples on the headlight lens. That's why you'll find those nipples on headlights of older vehicles. The physical adjustment itself is easily done with a long TORX. Most people just eyeball the adjustment on a wall or other flat surface.

The miniquads do suck, but so do the regular composites. Even with HID bulbs, they don't come close to comparing with the projectors in my dad's Acura MDX.

Most people just eyeball the adjustment on a wall or other flat surface.

and that isn't good enough? it simulates being on the road pretty well.... and has always worked pretty well for me.

and that isn't good enough? it simulates being on the road pretty well.... and has always worked pretty well for me.

Good enough for me too, but not good enough for GM.

Good enough for me too, but not good enough for GM.

hold up a minute, GM wants us to either buy this equipment or take it to them for a correct procedure? MY MIND, IT BURNS!!!!!

hold up a minute, GM wants us to either buy this equipment or take it to them for a correct procedure? MY MIND, IT BURNS!!!!!

You got it. The procedure is outlined in the service manual, and I believe there's a special Kent-Moore tool to attach to the nipples.

You got it. The procedure is outlined in the service manual, and I believe there's a special Kent-Moore tool to attach to the nipples.

there is, looks like this... expensive too, IIRC

coupe or sedan???

The sedan you have to take to a dealer to align the headlights. So, I've read.

In the owners manual for my '95 CS, there's a section on adjusting your headlights. It's the fog lights they recommend having the dealer adjust.

Getting back to the mini quads...who makes the best ones? I just had to replace the driver's side on my car...when I pulled it out, turns out it was less than two years old!

All I could find locally was Sylvania Xtra Vision...for $27.00.

The Sylvania Xtra Vision is probably just about the best your going to find in the miniquad replacement as far as ability to see at night. It just sucks that they are so expensive compared to other headlamps.

do they make silverstar ultras for the mini-quads? those are bright as fuck in the MC. it's no HID system, but i haven't seen another 5th gen MC with lights that bright...

It's not even GM that requires it, it's the law.

Accoriding to some SAE code, the light output at different angles can be so much. If a cop was really a prick, he could pull you over, and send you off to verify your headlamps.

All of those "HID" retrofits will not pass. The high light output with the non-clear lenses, no cut-off plates, etc.... horrible.