SmoothSteve3

Hey everyone-

Is any part of the horn assembly common to the turn signal switch? My horn isn't working, and I've tried:

A) testing the horn manually with a battery. Atleast one of them works fine. I was too lazy to dig out the other one.

B) replacing the horn relay with a new one.

C) taking apart the front plate of the steering wheel to make sure all of the contacts are good. Seems that they are.

I just really dont wanna have to disassemble my steering column again to get to that dumb turn signal switch. The current one isn't that old anyways...

This wasn't like an intermittant (sp) problem either. One day, it just didn't work.

1990 Lumina, 3.1

Let me know what ya'll think-

-SmoothSteve

I recently had to put a new plug where you plug it into the the horn, after I found one that wasn't corroded, It worked

fine.

I just cut the old one off and used a wire nut and some electrical tape.

They work now.

Horn has nothing to do with the turn signal switch.

2 completely different parts.

no..... it goes through the TSS, though not much is involved with the TSS. You should have a single (RED, iirc) wire going from the horn pad into a connector At the steering wheel. do you have that?

there should be a horn relay somewhere under the hood, and a fuse.

I have Horn problems also and need answers! 93 Cutlass convertible - Horns don't work. Relay OK fused pulled. New fuse put in and horn stuck on, blew fuse! New fuse again, horns stuck on... pulled fuse! HELP!

Kevin in ND

Well, about all that's involved is the relay, and the horn switch in the steering wheel...

Are you absolutely sure that relay is good?

If so, it's likely a bad horn switch.

I was rummaging thru a local salvage yard Wednesday. I pulled a couple of horn relays and several fuses trying them with the same results, so I'm pretty certain it's not the relay. Salvage yard guy said he heard horns of those years are prone to rust, corrosion, and shorting out from water. I don't know. Is horn swith located under the pads on the steering wheel?

I have Horn problems also and need answers! 93 Cutlass convertible - Horns don't work. Relay OK fused pulled. New fuse put in and horn stuck on, blew fuse! New fuse again, horns stuck on... pulled fuse! HELP!

Kevin in ND

Switch, or a ground in the wire to it.

Hey everyone-

Is any part of the horn assembly common to the turn signal switch? My horn isn't working, and I've tried:

A) testing the horn manually with a battery. Atleast one of them works fine. I was too lazy to dig out the other one.

B) replacing the horn relay with a new one.

C) taking apart the front plate of the steering wheel to make sure all of the contacts are good. Seems that they are.

I just really dont wanna have to disassemble my steering column again to get to that dumb turn signal switch. The current one isn't that old anyways...

This wasn't like an intermittant (sp) problem either. One day, it just didn't work.

1990 Lumina, 3.1

Let me know what ya'll think-

-SmoothSteve

Pull the relay and put a light bulb or volt meter across the 2 contacts for the relay coil, then push the switch and see if there's power there.

if you have a cutlass with SWRC, before they had airbags, there are three horn contacts in the steering wheel. the outer two are prone to getting stuck on adn making the horn go off. You could probably add foam tape to prevent unwanted contact with them.

if you have a cutlass with SWRC, before they had airbags, there are three horn contacts in the steering wheel. the outer two are prone to getting stuck on adn making the horn go off. You could probably add foam tape to prevent unwanted contact with them.

:high5: YES that's what I have in my new 93 Vert. and that's what I was wondering.

The two horn pads seems slightly depressed and without much give.

I believe the steering wheel back has some screws to loosen,

then pulls forward to check. :question:Is this CORRECT????? :question:[/size]