my 1992 needle in a haystack, now costing me an arm and a leg

ckf102

Guys.....

just thought I would share....

my 1992 Vert was a found gem, 62k, garage kept, just needed some maintenance...right? I ran it for a year, only really needing to put tires on it (originals were dry rotted), rear brakes and calipers (bad GM design), a serpentine belt, and wipers. not bad. I upgraded the speakers because the originals were dry rotted and sounded bad.....

Now, 5k miles later, she is hurting me like the Pirates hurt all of us for 17 years......

1) the low coolant sensor went bad, no biggie, but found that after replacing the cap and thermostat

2) needs new radiator hoses, original hoses, mechanic said they were soft and would need replaced

3) tranny fluid is light brown, mechanic said that I am probably lucky I caught this one in time before something bad happened, needs flushed/replaced

4) needs coolant flushed

5) I took it in for a tune up, knowing I needed plugs and wires. I would have liked to do it myself, but no garage and having to rock the engine scared me off for now.

6) needed oil changed and tires rotated

7) inline fuel filter is needing replaced because it is just about rusted in placed, either do it now and save the fuel lines, or wait and risk not getting it off and needing new fuel lines.....

The good news, the charging system and pressure tests I had done all came out well, so Winter should be ok for now.....

and one more twist.....

1) the tape deck finally gave up the ghost. so much for my ipod now, I actually have to get a real headunit

2) it will need front brakes/rotors for april inspection

3) the front struts are leaking and will need replaced and the rear shocks are bad too, but those can wait until april......

4) the right muffler is about shot and the bracket that it plugs into needs replaced, but I should be able to save the pipe, but it will need to be addressed to pass inspection.

800-900 for the first 7 repairs, don't know about the last 4.

talk about getting kicked in the teeth.....who knew my 500 dollar gem after a year would come back to haunt me.....

any thoughts? The guy doing the work is trustworthy, so I don't think I am being taken for a ride, but it just sucks when all this hits you at once...anyone got a 2nd job they could give me???????

thanks for letting me vent...

Clay

To be honest... that is all just basic maintenance that should be done every 50-60k anyways. So I think you are in pretty good shape as long as there are no major problems. Out of your list, the only PITA project is the front struts.

If you have the time/space do the coolant flush, plugs/wires, pads/rotors, fuel filter, etc just do it yourself and save yourself the labor.

Coolant flush probably isn't necessary. Hoses are very likely all right -- mechanics like to exxagerate things. Needing new wires is highly unlikely unless there's physical damage. The fuel filter, well, its gonna be just as much of a disaster at 100k. Can't imagine it being much of a problem (and not too hard to DIY yourself either). Tire rotation is not a big deal. Even the factory (copper) plugs can run out to 100k without issues. Radiator caps never need replacing on these cars.

those are ALL easy things... except for the suspension pieces.

an 800-900 quote is bullshit.

EVERYTHING there, minus the struts and maybe the exhaust, can all be done within 2-3 hours using the proper tools.

Theres members from your area that I am sure wouldnt mind helping you do some of the work so you dont have to pay shop labor

you know, you're right.

ckf102: should you happen to roll through camden, mi anytime soon, you buy the parts, i'll put them on for nothing more than the cost of lunch and materials.

all the things that are suggested are normal maintence items. I came in here thinking "what happened? Does it need a major thing like an engine or transmission, or perhaps you discovered structural rust that costs $$$$$ to fix?"

You should not be scared of doing 90% of this yourself. and there ARE local members in your area that would be happy to help, AND DO A MUCH BETTER JOB THAT SO CALLED REAL MECHANIC WHO TOLD YOU WHAT WAS WRONG.

refer to the FAQ section for a "how to rotate your engine"

for new plugs, get some rapidfires and put em in, longer life than the originals

walk around the car and test your struts by pushing up and down on your car. do they appear to resist movement? Good struts keep the car from moving without effort, in addition to stopping rebound. look up at the top of the rear wheel wells and see if the strut mounts are rusted and failing.

coolant flush is a good idea, but your hoses may or may not need changed.... they are cheap enough to be worth doing vs a tow bill if they do. I just got some Gates brand hoses for one of mine.....

I would do a pan drop and filter flush on your transmission. You can get a suction pump to drain your transmission from the dipstick and a good filter put in easily.

coolant flush is a good idea, but your hoses may or may not need changed.... they are cheap enough to be worth doing vs a tow bill if they do. I just got some Gates brand hoses for one of mine.....

you don't carry spares in your trunk? :lol:

honestly, i would have a spare set of hoses, a serpentine belt, a quart of each fluid, and due to some recent issues, a spare belt tensioner in the trunk along with a small toolkit to put all of those on.

that combo would get you out of 90% of failures on the road. at least for me they would.

Not to be a broken record, but from what you wrote...

It sounds like you own a normal car!

These are all things I've done in the last 45,000 miles of owning my car. I've done some much more involved stuff, and dont think it was out of the ordinary to do. I understand that not everyone has the means to perform their own car maintenance, but that mechanic sounds like he wants to make some money off of you.

Sounds like basic upkeep on a now 17 year old car. I think a few other people were trying to get me in on this thread :lol: but seeings as you are in Pittsburgh, I am fairly local to most points in this region. I could probably lend a hand if you are looking for any help.

In my trunk, I carry:

Full set of tools

Electrical tape

Serpentine belt

Scantool

Duct Tape

Breaker bar with 19mm socket (tire change tool)

Quart of trans fluid/motor oil/50-50 antifreeze

Digital voltmeter

several small lengths of vacuum hose

a couple of small pieces of various diameter heater hose

It all fits in a small toolbag, and another organizer type bag. In nearly 30 years of driving, I've had to be towed twice, once because of total engine failure. That little toolkit has fixed mine, and several other stuck cars.

All that stuff in the trunk is great, but good maintenance is the best tool of all. Fix it before it fails...

Think of it this way. Which is cheaper, fixing all the stuff you just described, or getting your car towed 3-4 times in the next year?

honestly, i would have a spare set of hoses, a serpentine belt, a quart of each fluid, and due to some recent issues, a spare belt tensioner in the trunk along with a small toolkit to put all of those on.

that combo would get you out of 90% of failures on the road. at least for me they would.

Don't forget a MAP sensor and ignition module!

If your worried about rotating the engine and don't want to use a ratchet strap consider picking up one of these two items. I got the latter and it's been a Godsend. Since i have few good days to work on my motor I can just stop what i'm doing and release the motor and fold it down into the radiator and close the hood when i get more time go out and pull the motor foward again. i know that setence made little sense...i'll go out and make a vid of it and put it up in a little bit.

Lisle engine tilter (become a little hard to find and more expensive)

31V24dh9v8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Thexton 419X (generally cheaper and much easier to find)

41SfK4yZKeL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Pay no real mind to the audio this was all off top of my head

th_001-1.jpg

ckf102

I was going to say also, while what everyone else has said is true, there is one important thing that you are lucky on. There are members on this forum close to where you are that are willing to help. Heck i'm in Tennessee. There's hardly anyone down here that I could take up the help from.

Your lucky man.

Guys,

i read all of your comments, and yes, it is just some maintainence but it all just hit at once, and I am trying to buy a house, so, 800 bucks is a new fridge or a home inspection with change..........

I wanted to do most or all by myself, that is one of the reasons why I got this car, but I just don't have the garage yet so I don't have to worry about rushing to get done. While I am mechanically inclined, I am not a mechanic. I also don't have all the tools yet. I know that some of you think that this guy is trying to make a few bucks off of me, but I would have to disagree. When my rear pads fell off the shoe, (my brake job with my parts), he replaced the new caliper he just put on, the rotor I did and new pads, on his dime. He covered my screw up because he wanted my business. My family also takes their cars to him as well, so I think he is pretty good.

I guess, it just hit me all at once, and I just freaked. even if I had an older 50's or 60's car I would have been like what the.......?

The tune up I was all set to do, but I couldn't rock the engine, the tranny I can't do, I am not that good.... I could have done the hoses and flush, and the sensor.....

I am glad to see the help and support I have on here. Your opinions are appreciated and I will be bouncing things off of you guys from time to time. I just wanted to see if I was acting like a crybaby, and yes, I was. it needs to be done, and if i want the car, I got to do it. I guess the other reason, it needs a top and I was planning on using this cash for that in the spring. I got clear duct tape holding the original top together.

I guess i'll end up with a almost new car after it's all said and done for a fraction of the price and i'll get to enjoy it.

i'll let you know what happens and we'll see what I need for inspection in april.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your thoughts, opinions, and offers for help. I am glad I am here.

Later,

Clay