Temperature Problem

MaroonRegal

My GP ('93 SE 3.1) is running hot. Hasn't overheated yet but it's gotten close and I've had to stop and wait. I replaced the thermostat and that didn't help. Today I opened the hood while the temp was at around 225 or 230, and the fans weren't spinning. This would explain why accelerating seems to make the temp drop drastically. Is there a sensor that should turn the fans on? A control unit? oh, there's probably a fuse. I'm gonna go check that, you think of other stuff.

So I messed around with the relay's and the fuses. The fuses seem fine, and after swapping the relays and driving around for a few minutes, the temp guage read 235-240, and the fans were operating...both of them, so I must not have had the temp high enough earlier today, but that seems awfully high for the fans to turn on. Where is the sensor that controls this rigamarole?

have you noticed any loss in coolant or is it just getting hot? Usually cruising down the road should give more than enough air movement to cool down the radiator. The fans are really there for when you're not moving as much.

how are you measuring temperature? the gauges in these car are about as calibrated as soviet tanks.

typical fan function (number's may vary):

a/c off:

fan 1 (driver) 230

fan 2 (pass) 240

a/c on:

fan 1 (driver) 215

fan 2 (pass) 230