K&N filter question

jake91

i got a kn filter tonight and i have heard of problems with the oil gunking up the maf. so i was wondering if it was really nessesary to be oil it. i know it wil cut down on filltration a bit but to solve that could i just buy a prefilter

thats what i figured, but id still like to know if i can get away without oiling it because i want to put it in my car but im out of money to buy any oil LOL

When you purchase one it comes pre-oiled. The only time you have to worry about oil is when you clean it at about 12-15 thousand mile interval. Then the kit comes with cleaner and oil in it.

do i have to use the kn filter oil or can i use the cheaper airaid oil

I've always used the K&N oil. One kit lasts me a LONG time. The aerosol oil is the best to use IMO as you can spray it on much more even and thinner. Most people over oil w/ the squeeze bottle. I usually let my K&N's sit for a day or so after oiling before reinstalling them. That way, any excess oil drips off of them onto the towel I lay them on in the garage.