going to look at a W on monday... what should i look for?

ShockTherapy

Theres a dealer near me that has 6-7 GTP's, all cheaper than that one.. I mean I am partial to white cars, but that thing is just overpriced.

Timmay, im going against the mold here. If that one you posted is in good condition and unmolested, i'd jump on it. I paid more for mine last year because it was in such great shape. Still try to talk them down a bit though for good measure.

Now, of course check for rust, well everywhere since you live in the rust belt. Ask if the fire recall has been done yet. Check the supercharger pulley for play. Take a look at the door panels and make sure they arent falling off. Look at the head and taillights for their usual fogginess and delamination. Also make sure there is no trunk leak by looking down in the spare tire well.

Then of course play with every function, check every fluid, and test drive the piss out of it.

that is a lot of $ for that car, even if it is in very good shape.....actually the only way that I would even consider paying close to that price unless is one owner, non-smoker "virgin" with complete service records...

....to answer your question though, I would look for rust at all the main problem areas, look for good condition matching set of tires (if someone skimps on tires, imagine what else that they go "on the cheap with")...then obviously do the basic used car inspection....

If that one you posted is in good condition and unmolested, i'd jump on it. I paid more for mine last year because it was in such great shape.

yours is also two years newer about bought quite a while ago.....it's not suprising you paid more then that ....but to put it into perspective, in January of '08 I paid over $1k less for my '99 GTP that was one owner, fully documented service records and came with about $800 worth of new OEM replacement parts in the trunk

I'll second what a lot of people are saying.

That's not a lot of car for that much money. I've been told to steer clear of the '97 and '98 Grand Prix's - PERIOD.

Things to look for:

- Rust around rear wheel wells (check inside trunk while checking strut towers).

- HVAC Resistor (try all of the fan speeds, it's small, but a headache that you don't need).

- Open all of the windows, Sunroof

- Bring a tire gauge with you. These rims love to leak & observe wear on tires (edges = underinflation)

- See how wet the trunk is (on the inside), especially down where there spare is.

- It's a sexy car, but if you're patient there's a sexier car that you can buy privately.

I'll x439428 the rear strut tower rust, speaking from personal experience. :lol:

I don't know, I love the cars, but owning one, I ALMOST prefer the 1st gen GTP style W-Body better. It's very close. The 2nd gen just seems... spare. It isn't as cozy, it's more brash. The first gen just seems a bit more polished. Too many little things on the 2nd gens that pop out or just feel cheap.

I'd honestly go for a Regal GS.