No, I actually do want a W-body.

Twenty

I know there have been similar topics before, but still read on.

I'm always asked from others something along the lines of 'Why do you love that car so much?'. It seems that a lot of people I know can't understand what's so appealing about a 17-year old Pontiac sedan. Do any of you ever get asked the same about your W-bodies?

More than anything it's probably because it's your first car. Here's my first car, it's actually very similar (see below, in white, this was in the last year for the white Cutlass too much salt killed her):

AJAMnAMY1.jpg

I think that out of the trio of W's that I've owned that the Cutlass Supreme was probably nearly my favourite, or at least most memorable, but it was also my first car, it used to hurt me a little when others would assume that it was dad's car, I bought that car by choice, and the closest thing that my parents ever owned was a 2.8L Eurosport Celebrity. But I can see why others didn't find it so super-fly.

As far as the '95 Grand Prix and the '03 Grand Prix are concerned, virtually no one questions why I like those cars. My lil' nephew even gets excited when he sees it. "Amy Car . . . fast car!"

I swear that B4U equipped cars were more guilty of starting the ricer revolution than any other.

When I was a kid my dad took me to car shows, when ever I saw an edsel I said, "Dad why would some drive an ugly car like that." and said, "The owner loves and enjoys the car. We all have differant ideas of what looks good."

I didn't realy get it until I got my first car ('85 Cutlass, 3.8L no options). I bought it for $1300 and I loved it. When i got to school with it every one laughed and said why did I get a 12 year old car. Then i realized what my dad was talking about.

Im a big guy (6'4" 235lbs.). I fit comfortably in the W's PLUS the car looks sporty. Yeah My 3 W's have had problems but I've learned a lot from them. Even though my GP is dying, I would still get another W. (not an LQ1. sorry guys)

People talk shit on my "old car" and I get violent. They get one warning about slamming the doors, and one free demonstration of how easily the doors on my "old car" shut. Beyond that, it's their ass.

HAHAHA!!! sounds like me!!!!!

x2. I actually had someone slam the back door on my regal last winter and ended up snapping a bunch of the heads off the clips that hold the panel on :evil:

I swear that B4U equipped cars were more guilty of starting the ricer revolution than any other.

factory ricers maybe...

Meant to say B4U equipped 3.1's or 3100's.

factory ricers maybe...

Meant to say B4U equipped 3.1's or 3100's.

at least they looked cool, i'd love a 94-95 GP B4U...

I know there have been similar topics before, but still read on.

I'm always asked from others something along the lines of 'Why do you love that car so much?'. It seems that a lot of people I know can't understand what's so appealing about a 17-year old Pontiac sedan. Do any of you ever get asked the same about your W-bodies?

More than anything it's probably because it's your first car. Here's my first car, it's actually very similar (see below, in white, this was in the last year for the white Cutlass too much salt killed her):

I think it's because I grew up with the car, that's what initially got me interested in it, though being my first car certainly makes it that much more special.

I loved W's for no particular reason that my first car was a W-Body that I fixed up. I grew to love them when I realized how nicely they handle with little investment, and how nice they can look when cleaned up.

You don't have to apologize for having one, you only have to apologize for having one.

:facepalm:

Sorry should read: You don't have to apologize for hating them, you only have to apologize for having one.

I was rushing out of the door when I wrote that.

I actually said the same thing to my gf about people having differant tastes when she called a henry j ugly. i learned when i got my first w body that it doesnt matter what you tell an import person...theystill wont lile your american car. i have a friend into toyotas and finally got him to admit that its nice after a few months. honestly i just say that i love my car because of reliability and the fact tht only true car enthusiasts know what i have and not just the owners. if they give me more lip i simply say "to each his own" because at that point they are just trying to piss you off.

The person that tells me most often to buy a new car is my mom. Almost every time I visit her, I get, "Shawn, you really need to buy a new car." My car made sense when I was a poor college student, but I've been out of school for a decade and have a decent career and income. I have the oldest daily driver of all my coworkers. She just doesn't understand why I can afford a new car, but choose not to buy one. I'm not sure why my mom cares so much since she doesn't have to ride in it, I'm guessing it's because she's always been a very image-conscious social butterfly and thinks I need to improve my image. Maybe she would like to be able to tell her friends her son drives a Lexus, BMW, or Mercedes, I don't really know.

I usually just say, "I will, someday". I've stuck with my 89 Cutlass for 15-years mainly because I still love how it looks. I still turn around to admire it while walking away from it in the parking lot. The nerd in me still loves the uniqueness and nerdiness of the UB3 cluster, the gadgets, and the buttons. Newer cars have more gadgets these days, but there's still something appealing about those 80's era vacuum fluorescent displays and plethora of buttons that all look alike, which a modern-day reviewer would hate and complain about as being unintuitive and unergonomic. I love it. Even the design of the car carries on that "80's high tech" feel that I'm so nostalgic for... the wrap-around rear window glass, sleek lines, short, but wide headlights, and symmetrically opposed wipers... it still has a look of "80's futuristic". It comes as no surprise a commercial for the "new" 1988 Cutlass Supreme starred William Shatner as a passenger in a Cutlass that sort of blasts off into space. I never try to explain why I like my car to anyone though. They just wouldn't understand.

Very well put, Shawn. And at least at this little corner of the world your car is well loved. and In my opinion one of the nicest looking cars on the forum.

I love these things, to me just a point in time where GM got the styling absolutely correct across all 4 platforms.

Shawn, the only thing I'd do to that car is add a lip spoiler and tails.

My deal is, if it runs and drives and looks good, and has good suspension and doesn't pollute... why get a new car? There are lots of great examples of older W's here that fit that description.

i think it is known that we all love our Ws and until the haters actually own,drive and understand what were talking about, we will keep it our little secret.

A guy i work with is a big import fan, cant stand american. I had to pick him up for a week cuz i was working on his aerio, by the 3rd day he was talking about maybe getting himself a gtp 2 door to play around with cuz he was impressed with mine, the features the comfort and and drive quality. His 2003 suzuki 4 cyl. didnt have nearly the options, comfort or mileage as my 98 has. hell even my 91 had better options.

I think there is more technology in any one of the Ws ive owned to my 08 caliber, and they were all more fun to drive. I love driving and if i had my choice i would be driving a big truck but next to that i want a 90s W, cuz frankly i think they look better than some of the new cars out there.

Oh i don't 'Hate' the LQ1. This is my second, but I go through intake gaskets (every year) and Oil like crazy. I just can't afford it right now. I had lots of fun with them: good sound and good power.

I seem to have a lot of them warmed up to it at the moment. I explained that they should give the GP a fair chance as I've barely started working on it. I said that it could look completely different once it's lowered with new wheels, and they seem to be giving it a chance now.

I started discussing my plans for new wheels next year, so now we're all comparing notes on what offset I want, how they'll sit, and when they found out that some of the crosslaces (The wheels I'm aiming for) are Enkeis, they really thought it was cool. My build thread on my 'home' forum has grown by a few pages in just a couple of days due to the discussions of wheel fitment and nothing else.

well there you go... let people ride on the plish interior and such... theyll turn to butter over the cars... i hot a guy here in a 2003 nissan maxima thattold me that the monte carlo is the only automatic hed ever buy..

It comes as no surprise a commercial for the "new" 1988 Cutlass Supreme starred William Shatner as a passenger in a Cutlass that sort of blasts off into space.

I want to see the commercial.

Is it on you tube?