Should I pick this car up? (97 GTP, 600 dollars)

Octavarium454

Well I was on craigslist today and noticed that a 97 GTP was posted in the parts section. Nothing on it except he said the lower end was blown and his number. I give him a call up, and he tells me he just put on a new supercharger (which he said ran him over 600 dollars), and two weeks later the lower end was toast. We talk a little more and he says he just wants out of it what he paid for that supercharger.

On a side note, I have an L67 already that I was going to use for my 95 GTP swap. It is not pretty, but it runs. My plan is to clean up my L67, get the new coupler on the supercharger, might as well get new gaskets, and install it in the 97, keeping that motor for myself. I theorize that he put too small of a pulley on the supercharger, ran too much boost, and blew out the bottom end. (but for 600 dollars he could of switched to a Gen V or had it ported, who knows) Even if the block is shot I know I can pick them up all day long at my local junkyard, and I had planned on sending my other motor to a shop to have it tested and bored out, so I really wouldn't be out of nothing.

Needless to say I'm looking at it tomorrow, and bringing cash. Here is to hoping the body isn't completely trashed.

do a full inspection for rust... but yes, it could easily be fixed, if the body is not shot.

check the rear strut towers for rust failure by looking inside the trunk!

Go for it, but like stated, check for rust. THat'll be the only deal breaker in my mind (unless the car is totally trashed). Rocker panels (under the plastic) subframe mounts, front and rear strut towers, and just infront of the rear wheels.

Also, when you look at it, add up the cost of parts you could sell. I tend to use half what I think the actual value is because parts needs fluctuate so much that I like to know i am covered price wise. If you come up with more than $600, then it's still a good deal if you don't mind parting it out if you don't do anything with it.

Lastly, offer $500 to start...

check the rear strut towers for rust failure by looking inside the trunk!

Can't imagine where you got that. :lol: :lol:

you just cemented that in my car inspection process, but I already was checking that area on cars before you... :twisted:

Go for it, but like stated, check for rust. THat'll be the only deal breaker in my mind (unless the car is totally trashed). Rocker panels (under the plastic) subframe mounts, front and rear strut towers, and just infront of the rear wheels.

Also, when you look at it, add up the cost of parts you could sell. I tend to use half what I think the actual value is because parts needs fluctuate so much that I like to know i am covered price wise. If you come up with more than $600, then it's still a good deal if you don't mind parting it out if you don't do anything with it.

Lastly, offer $500 to start...

I see where your coming from on the parts deal, however I plan to sell this car as a running vehicle, as my plan is to just swap motors. I didn't realize rust by the strut towers was such a huge issue on these cars until about a month ago when a friend of mine actually had his rear struts pop through the trunk when the towers completely rusted away :eek:. Hopefully all is well and I buy the car and get to have a little fun with the car when I'm done with the motor replacement.

if its good fix it and keep it and sell the 95

no use trying to build the 95 into what the 97 already is.

gen 1 > gen 2

braces to get flamed

I agree in the exterior department, but I like the 97+ interior more...

IMO though, any 97+ GTP for under $1,000 is bound to be trashed... but just IMO of course.

Well guys I went and saw it today. I don't know what to do, so I am going to wait a day to make my decision. The guy got royally fucked on the repair bills, as he got charged 600 dollars to (from what i could tell) to change the coupler in the supercharger.

Interior wise the driver seat is the only thing that shows wear. Exterior is beat, but rust free, and no damage is done to the rear quarters. The front wrap around is not painted (new, but primer grey), and the spoiler is faded (typical). The driver side rear door (yes it is a 4 door) is toast, and so are the headlights. The tail lights are to the point where they could be considered done for but they would make a good candidate for blacking out using a spray gun, which I have never done before, but if I screw up there is no loss.

Motor is complete except I'm not getting a battery :evil:.

Also he was dead fucking set at 600, I offered 550 but he said no.

Considering all the work that needs to be done, I could easily be able to get this car up to great condition in less than 15 hours of work, and under 900 dollars including the price of the car.

Also, I have found a Regal GS in BEAUTIFUL condition that needs a trans, so I may just throw a DOHC back in the 95 GTP, sell it, and wait until I find a 96 GTP so I have OBD II stock, making the L67 swap easier. I could easily find another trans later on, and slowly build up the 3.8 that I would get from the GTP.

Oh and Gen I is WAY nicer looking than Gen II, but again, this is based solely on biased opinion (my first car was a 92, loved it until the day it went to the crusher :cry: )

So based on those facts, do you agree? Disagree? Should I revise my plans?

buy this car, fix it and flip it.

Something the poster needs to take his own advice on!!

But yeah, I'd buy it, put a couple hundred into fixing it and cleaning it up, and sell it.

Well if the car isn't gone by Sunday then consider it mine. Are these cars easy to flip? My step dad and I mostly deal with flipping luminas and minivans (which sell like hotcakes).

Oh and I will definetely be driving the shit out it when I'm done and before I sell it. I got two little ricer cocksuckers who think they are hot shit in their Probes that they threw fart cans on. Plus I got to see what the 3.8 is capable of :biggrin:.

Oh haha, you guys will love this.

I don't know if I mentioned this, but the hood and headlights were trashed, and the bumper was primer gray.

Background aside, I was determined to get this car for less than 600. Posing as someone else on the phone, I gave the guy a call. Turns out he sold the junk headlights, hood, and also sold the bumper. However, now the price is 350 dollars :biggrin:! Now, I called my junkyard source, and I can get all the parts to the car I need for one hundred dollars. I'm glad I waited. This car will be completely done for under 800 dollars. Got to love it.

Well I picked it up, I will make a new thread soon once I get some before pictures taken. Oh and the look on his face when we pulled up after my friend bought the car acting on behalf of me. Fucking priceless :lol:.

Oh haha, you guys will love this.

I don't know if I mentioned this, but the hood and headlights were trashed, and the bumper was primer gray.

Background aside, I was determined to get this car for less than 600. Posing as someone else on the phone, I gave the guy a call. Turns out he sold the junk headlights, hood, and also sold the bumper. However, now the price is 350 dollars :biggrin:! Now, I called my junkyard source, and I can get all the parts to the car I need for one hundred dollars. I'm glad I waited. This car will be completely done for under 800 dollars. Got to love it.

Nice.