just another GM HVAC system?

PROTESTtheHERO

man i actually think its hilarious how many gm vehicles have problems with the HVAC. i must have seen 15 gm vehicles (including the 3 in my driveway right now) that have only half of the fan speeds working. for instance, in my regal i can only have my heat/ac on high, or nothing happens. the envoy, it will work up to 5 but 6 just shuts off. the chevy express 2500 is the same with heat and the AC is finished. none of the fuses are gone out of it so it must be some kind of mechanical failure in the switch or something else im not thinking of. this wasnt intended on being a help thread or anything just a bit of a rant, but if anyone knows a simple solution, im open to ideas :lol: :biggrin:

We had issues with that in the Malibu we had, but any W I've had has never had an issue like this. I'd say they're fairly solid.

Now... A/C issues, that's another story. I've never had a W where the A/C worked properly until the Grand Prix GT, or now that I think about it, my '95 SE, but the dealer I bought it from had it serviced professionally before they sold it.

• 3 weeks later...

If the blower works only on high, the blower resistor has failed.

YUP X2

And in regards to your Envoy only working on the last fan speed, typically on any vehicle that isn't an electric or auto climate control, the last speed (or HIGH on some) is turned on with a relay. Check for that being bad.

If the blower works only on high, the blower resistor has failed.

YUP X2

And in regards to your Envoy only working on the last fan speed, typically on any vehicle that isn't an electric or auto climate control, the last speed (or HIGH on some) is turned on with a relay. Check for that being bad.

First thing to check is the fuses. If it is anything like a W, there should be one fuse for the first 4 speeds, then a separate fuse for high. If that checks out, then the relay should be part of the resistor pack. I had the opposite issue last winter where the relay stuck and run constantly on high, even with the key off. So i just pulled the high speed fuse. A couple weeks later, i lost the remainder of the speeds, so I had to change the resistor pack. After that, the fan has been flawless.

On another note...the replacement resistor pack I used appeared to be a much better built unit than the factory one.

Here is what the replacement unit looked like

ru371-1.jpg

And the original unit looked similar to this

52476725.jpg

The replacement cost me about $20 and took just under 2 hours to replace...and that was taking my time too.