MPG took a plunge.

94 olds vert

3.4l v6- New Air filter K&N

My mpg on my last tank was 18.18 mpg on average. On Premium 92. No highway driving. Drove with a lead foot.

This last fill up was on just regular gas and I averaged 14.71 mpg. No highway driving. Drove like a grandma.

Does the gas you get really affect your mpg that much?

That is when I just bought the car and it had been sitting for the last 3 years so I filled it up with premium.

Maybe now that the Highway ramp was just recently completed I can get on the e-way a little easier.

On Premium 92

you only need regular i ran premium it ran no different

Does the gas you get really affect your mpg that much

yes. but not by that much i check the pumps if i fill up with 15% ethonol gas i get 19 if i fill up with 10% ethonol gas i get 20.

has it lost any power?

if so mabey clogged cat

if not

bad fuel filter ?

also once you do fix it dont worry about that lead foot when i drive like a grandma total city i get 19. if i drive with a lead foot i get 18. and if you can get on the highway it does wonder for fuel economy in these cars.with 50 miles on the high way and 150 city leadfoot miles and 50 grandma city miles i get around 21

14.7MPG is really pushing it there. That's pretty horrible. I drive my Bonneville very hard, and that's a 3800lb car with a 4.6L V8, and I never average below 16mpg.

i always thought the bonneville had the 5.3. huh learn something new everyday

The Bonneville GXP never had the 4.6L Northstar. It was the Grand Prix GXP that had the 5.3L.

I would type out the suggestions, but this has to be the 4th MPG-related thread in the last 2 weeks, and the 2nd today. Just go back to the topics and find what other people have said to improve fuel economy.

The Bonneville GXP never had the 4.6L Northstar. It was the Grand Prix GXP that had the 5.3L.

Wait? What? Pretty sure the Bonne has the 4.6 N* beings that yours has it

On my 3.4 I drive pretty "spirited" and I average about 19 mixed on summer mix and 17-18 on winter mix. I know I need to replace my fuel filter and I wouldn't be surprised if I had a bad injector or IAC or something.

Wait? What? Pretty sure the Bonne has the 4.6 N* beings that yours has it

Typo. I meant to say it never had the 5.3 and had the 4.6...

My Lumina used to get WAY WORSE mileage when running premium fuel vs. regular. I never paid extra for premium but a few years ago some stations ran out of regular so they were selling premium for the same price. Car got at least 150km less on one tank of fuel.

My Lumina used to get WAY WORSE mileage when running premium fuel vs. regular. I never paid extra for premium but a few years ago some stations ran out of regular so they were selling premium for the same price. Car got at least 150km less on one tank of fuel.

Makes sense. All higher octane does is make the fuel less prone to pre-detonation in higher compression/boosted engines. My regal ran like crap the only time I took it to the track with a full tank of premium. Bad decision. Ran a 16.1. After a tune-up I'll go back and try it again with regular fuel.

my 3850 lb Aurora gets 22-23 in town w/ the 3.5L LX-5....on 87 octane

not too shabby. I think you have some work to do...or go another tank and double check your numbers

My experience..

I use Shell gas only around here in my area.. Its the only gas i trust if i let me car sit because it wont varnish as fast as others.. I really dont care what the pricce is for fuel if i need it i need it.. If you are getting gas from a gas station that you never heard of before and there are not many others out there most likely the gas is gunna be shit toward other gas stations that are more popular.. I run a mix of gas in my cars.. my DD 3100 i run 87 all day everyday but once in a while i run 93 and i get better mileage.. I put the same miles on the 93 as i do with 87.. I drive a total of 100 miles a day to work so im buring fuel like crazy.. i average 26 out of my 3100.. Now my GTP i run only 93.. The car loves it and i also average 26 when i drive it to work once every week.. I really havent ran less than 89 in any of my 3.4's because i notice the difference..

But now on with your car.. With that sudden of a drop in MPG I'd say its the fuel you put in the car.. A filter may or may not cause that sudden of a drop right away in MPG.. Usually the MPG's start to fall slowly.. But for the price of the filter i would change it for the heck of it.. If the line is rusty to the filter i would think twice about it.. It also could or could not be mechanical who knows until more problems await..

So...I did the math and a jaw dropping 8 MPG actually less,I like to round.

Now, I now I have a major problem, Checked air pressure in all of my tires. And they are all low. With all this cold weather my mpg has been dropping even more.

Now the tire says (44 psi max) Does that mean 44 psi should be in each tire?

My drive side rear tire had 13 psi in it. And probably less when I check it tomorrow.

Other tires were in a range from 25-30 psi. Low tires=bad mpg.

I think this could be the problem.