Not looking good for the GTP

LuckoftheGTP

My car's inspection is up in 1 month and there is alot of things wrong:

-major Rust at the rear of the car.

-Exhaust held together by 3 coat hangers (thanks to the rust)

-losses 1 qt. of oil per week.

-Intake manifold maybe leaks (replaced it a year ago.) Rev. bounces at idel.

-O/D goes into gimp mode.

-Messed up breaks (replaced all rotars and pads begining of year)

-car pulls left.

I don't have the money to fix all of this and don't have $$ for another car. I will have my mechanic take a look at it TUE. If any one has any suggestions or in the middle of Long Island and would like to take a look at it, would be excelant.

Thanks.

since your in nys, the most you have to worry about is the exhaust and the brakes.

with the exhaust as long as there are no holes in the exhaust itself it should pass nysi. as long as the pads aren't work down to the thickness of the metal where the pad is riveted/glued to it should pass.

if the car is pulling left, but the front end components don't have any play in them, you have nothing to worry about. oh and make sure the tires are ok and have good tread on them.

and they won't fail your car for having the check engine light on.

Never heard of that one before...

95 and back it doesn't matter... at least where I am we had a rotted 93 GP come in and it passed with an SES on.

Mainly it's brakes, tires, tie rods (ball joints are no longer a part of NYS inspections) lights, horn, wipers, and no fuel leaks. If you can get past that you are good.

Never heard of that one before...

Only OBDII cars (96 & up) wont pass if a SES light is on. The OPs car is a 94.

That car would be parts if it were in PA. On the other hand, if it had undergone our strict inspections every year it wouldn't have gotten that bad in the first place. Inspections can be a PITA but they can be good for cars as well.

That car would be parts if it were in PA. On the other hand, if it had undergone our strict inspections every year it wouldn't have gotten that bad in the first place. Inspections can be a PITA but they can be good for cars as well.

Some of the rot boxes that I see come in here in NY should be condemned. NY is worried about SES's but not about rotting frames... go figure.

I do think inspections are good, but mainly for brakes/tires/lights/suspension. It is nice to know that ~70% of the cars around here actually pass at legitimate inspection stations. People don't care about their cars until they get into an accident or kill someone.

The key to NYS inspections are to go to the places that don't service exhaust, brakes and other expesive components. You want a place that is looking for light bulbs and windshield wipers like a 10 minute oil change place.

Brakes are a visual inspection, so if they look good you're usually fine. As long as the exhaust doesnt leak before the cat and the sound is reasonable, that is fine too. If you are leaking any type of major fluids, just give the underside a quick rinse with the hose. Get the inspection done on a rainy day, the wet underside will mask some stuff and the rust wont stick out as much.

Edit: I just realized you live in East NY and I live in West NY... Probably a whole different set of rules.

Well I have good news. I passed, bearly. The breaks were fine but he said the rack is shot. All it needed was 2 tires and 2 runs on the dyno. The exhaust has so many holes in it the temp wasn't high enough.

All in All I bought myself some time to save up and look for a new car. Down the road I will put the car up here if anyone needs parts.