Stock Strut question

Dannymik

This might seem like a idiotic question to most of you on here. If your rear struts are shot and need to be replaced would they leak any fluid or give off a odor that smells like gasoline? I've been smelling gas near the rear of my Cutty and can't pin point the leak. Obviously I checked the tank itself, lines, and that black cylinder near the main line where gas enters the vehicle. Everything seems to be fine...I don't notice any difference in my gas guage as far as loosing fuel. Could the smell be coming from the struts? Sorry if that sounds like a bone head question. It just boggles my mind! :oops:

w-body.jpg

Ok Brian, I'll check that tomorrow. I do need the stuts changed though. My passenger strut is right through the mount which makes my car very rough over bumps. I just don't have $500 to get those recommeded coilovers(KYB's?)! Is there a decent brand that doesn't break the bank?

w-body.jpg

The fluid in your shocks don't smell anything like gasoline. If you're smelling gasoline then either you spilled some during your last fill-up or there's a leak somewhere. Or else someone spilled some when he syphoned some of that shit out of your tank when you weren't looking. :)

This might seem like a idiotic question to most of you on here. If your rear struts are shot and need to be replaced would they leak any fluid or give off a odor that smells like gasoline? I've been smelling gas near the rear of my Cutty and can't pin point the leak. Obviously I checked the tank itself, lines, and that black cylinder near the main line where gas enters the vehicle. Everything seems to be fine...I don't notice any difference in my gas guage as far as loosing fuel. Could the smell be coming from the struts? Sorry if that sounds like a bone head question. It just boggles my mind! :oops:

w-body.jpg

I don't know if you have the FE3-spec Sport Suspension option, but you can go with Monroe Sens-A-Tracs. They're priced much lower than KYB GR-2s, although they don't handle as well.

Ok Brian, I'll check that tomorrow. I do need the stuts changed though. My passenger strut is right through the mount which makes my car very rough over bumps. I just don't have $500 to get those recommeded coilovers(KYB's?)! Is there a decent brand that doesn't break the bank?

w-body.jpg

Just don't let someone put Gabrials with a lifetime warrentee on it. The struts are free replacement but the labor is $40 a side. And they fail, fail, fail.

My wife had them replaced when we were apart and now I'm on a third set, 2 1/2 years. Lifetime warrentee, lifetime of getting a slow screw. Truth is I told them to replace only the bad one this last time. The time before when they relaced them, both new, I got slapped in the back every little tar strip on the road.

They resisted but I told them it was a lifetime warrentee right, see you when the other one goes bad, it it lasts another year and I then change both, I break even. Evenly screwed.

First of all, I'd check the the charcoal canister..sounds like that may be where your gas smell is coming from.

And I'm also kinda curious...why not just go with the KYBs from the tirerack.com? I'm pretty sure they are $50 per strut. The KYBs are the closest thing to stock FE3 feel, since the Konis are discontinued :( The Monroe's will feel more like the FE1 suspension. Not nearly as stiff..but a nice smooth ride.

And Gabriel may not make a good strut, but they make a good shock. I have some on the front of my truck, and those things get abused. Between the off-roading, and the hammering they get plowing snow..I'm suprised they've lasted as long as they have. :D

First of all, I'd check the the charcoal canister..sounds like that may be where your gas smell is coming from.

If it was the canister would it smell like gass all the time? Its not only when I fill it up. :x

w-body.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's fucking hilarious! Not to laugh at your situation, but the way you word it is funny. I'm glad you mentioned it, I guess I'll never go with those damn Gabriels. I wonder how much GM shocks must be, I bet they're a rip.

Lifetime warrentee, lifetime of getting a slow screw.

So, if I replace my current shocks with Monroe Sens-A-Tracs, then my factory FE3 will ride like a factory FE1? Shit, that really sucks. I thought Monroe had different shocks for the FE1 and FE3. What if you already have an FE3 and switch to KYB GR-2s? Will it handle better than before?

And I'm also kinda curious...why not just go with the KYBs from the tirerack.com? I'm pretty sure they are $50 per strut. The KYBs are the closest thing to stock FE3 feel, since the Konis are discontinued :( The Monroe's will feel more like the FE1 suspension. Not nearly as stiff..but a nice smooth ride.

Lee is right, I had Gabriels put on my 96 Cutlass Supreme and they handled like crap. Each side was replaced twice within a year and finally i put on the stock GM rear struts (I couldn't locate any KYB's). Parts and labor for rear GM struts was about $400 with lifetime warranty from the dealership and they handle pretty good i think.

you think it might be comeing from the exaust!... bad O2 sensor...?

just a thought..

i priced new struts at the local dealarship all 4 front and back with install they wanted 750 bucks .. is that an assreaming or a good deal???

First off, you need to find out what type of suspension you have. Either the base model (Code FE1) or the optional "sport" suspension (Code FE3). If you have the FE1 then you can probably stick with Monroe struts and shocks, but if you move up to the more expensive KYB GR-2s then you'll definitely increase handling performance. Spend even more money and get the Koni dual-adjustables and then you're ready to carve up the streets. If you have the FE3 then you're pretty much left with only the KYB GR-2s and Koni dual-adjustables. If you use Monroe on your FE3 you'll probably ruin the ride.

At least that's what I heard.

would the kyb gr2's add better handling to my car? or would i have to go with the koni's from tirerack.com?

Personally I'd take the GR-2s over the Konis. Konis are excellent but they're more expensive because you can adjust each one independently from the other. I'd only recommend the Konis if you go racing on the track.

i could guess i have the FE3. but ill have to check the numbers and find out. I just asked cuz i dont know why there is such a huge diff in price from the GR2 and the Konis.