Help on Custom Air Intake

fleetwoodguy79

Ok so I finally have the time today to make an intake. Here's what I am thinking, some sort of air duct that goes right underneath the grill, that way I get cold air all the time. So my question is, what did everyone use to make theirs? I'm going to leave the MAF sensor and air duct tube on and just build it in front of the MAF. Thanks for all your help everyone!

I suggest you get a piece of exhaust or other tubing/piping(to match the MAF sensor size or whatever...get it in aluminum and maybe polish it(there are a few back posts on polishing aluminum..to make it have a chrome-like shine) or painting it, then running it to basically where you can fit a conical filter(K&N or other) to just behind the headlight where the stock box draws air from, then fabricate a heatshield that surrounds the conical filter and make a hole for whatever tubing you use and let the tubing go through the heatshield and slap the cone on, it would shield your intake from the heat of the exhaust manifold...if you need a picture of what I mean, I can probably whip up a shitty one in ms paint or something :lol: or I can send you a picture of my brothers truck w/ his K&N intake/heatshield(much like a heatshield we could utilize)...anyways, something along that line would at least flow a little more air and would not get heat soaked as bad when you're sitting in traffic, you could take it a step further and have a rubber insert w/ some padding much like what the hood padding is made of and have it where it sits flush w/ the hood on top of the heatshield to almost completely seal it off from heat(the picture of the truck shows this too). And then just remove your headlight if you ever take it to the track to draw in more air. That is unless you want to/already have removed the battery, then just make a fenderwell intake.

EDIT: I'm making a heatshield for my 93 sometime soon and will post pictures when I do, although yours might have to be different to work w/ the larger DOHC. actually, it would be close to identical, they have nearly the same amount of space on the side of the airbox if I'm thinking right.