Axle Replacement on my Cutlass

89oldscutlass

AC Delco.

Although some aftermarket ones have lifetime warranty. I used aftermarket ones with lifetime warranty and they seemed to be as good as Delco, but my 89 has original Delco CV boots and no problems.

Guest TurboSedan
Im fixing to replace the axels on the front of my cutlass and was wondering what would be the best brand to put on it any opinions? :D

i just replaced my axles yesterday. a year ago when i did the 5-speed swap i had to buy one new axle and just got one from Checker. when i inspected it before reinstallation yesterday, it looked great. i think it was like $70 or so w/core. i'm not sure what an AC Delco axle costs but i'm sure they are better quality but probably a little more $$. btw, how do you guys pull your axles? i have a slide hammer that is kind of a biotch to use (too big), but gets the job done. any easier ways?

joshua

Im fixing to replace the axels on the front of my cutlass and was wondering what would be the best brand to put on it any opinions? :D

i just replaced my axles yesterday. a year ago when i did the 5-speed swap i had to buy one new axle and just got one from Checker. when i inspected it before reinstallation yesterday, it looked great. i think it was like $70 or so w/core. i'm not sure what an AC Delco axle costs but i'm sure they are better quality but probably a little more $$. btw, how do you guys pull your axles? i have a slide hammer that is kind of a biotch to use (too big), but gets the job done. any easier ways?

joshua

get a pry bar and slowly pry it out using the tranny. dont do it to forcefull it is possable to crack the alum trans!!

well, when i did my bearings (and i found out i need to do new axels too), i just got an impact for the axel nut, and a pulley remover worked great for pushing the axel out of the hub.... other then othe other may sockets, ratchets and knucles that i broke, once i had the right tools, it was cake... i could o the axels in probly 15 minutes each now with the pulley remover and impact wrench.

- Justin

Guest TurboSedan
i pry it off the trans with a flatbar. and i pull the whole hub assembly with the axle so that i dont have to undo the balljoints.

good point, as it is easy to mess up the ball joint boots when using a pickle fork and BFH to undo the lower ball joints. undoing the 4 hub bolts are cake, and then the axle can just slide right out of hole in the strut/knuckle and the strut/knuckle assembly can stay in place....no need to undo the sway bar bolts or anything.....

i never had to use a puller to push the axle thru the hub, i just pushed 'em thru the hub with my thumbs.

btw, my slide hammer is from Harbor Freight....it's thier 9lb slide hammer and comes in a red metal case.....only cost me $20.

joshua

Well guess ill check on new acdelco axels I thought there might be stronger aftermarket axels out there. I have access to impacts at the garage so I will take the ball joints loose to get the axels out. Thanks for the input guys. :D