HVAC Blower Motor or Resistor?

paulo57509

The blower in my '92 Lumina doesn't blow as hard (OK, stop laughing) :lol: It has all four speeds, but it just doesn't blow with a lot of force. The diverter doors are all working and are closed properly.

Because it has all four speeds, I'm thinking the motor is just tired and not the resistor. I haven't checked the wireing diagrams or the FSM for symptoms/trouble shooting.

Thoughts?

TIA

my 95 CS had a worn blower motor... it would not turn as fast as it should.

my 92 vert had a 1/2 inch of debris blocking the a/c evaporator, resulting in no flow.

remove your glove box door and glovebox. look straight back and see there is a white door? push it up and you will be in the chamber above the fan. don't stick your fingers in it (see motorcycle mayhem thread!!!), but you can operate the fan on each speed to give you an idea if it is fighting to work or what is going on.

I would also agree with weak motor.

Most of the time when i replace blower motors things start blowing out of the vents lol :mrgreen:

Honestly I would change both the motor and resistor, because a motor going bad produces alot of heat which is bad for the resistor.

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced the blower motor this weekend. All is well again.

I went the cheap route and spent $42 for the Vatozone part. It was a Siemens/VDO so at least it wasn't made off shore. I didn't feel like spending $140 for a Delco and waiting until Monday to have it shipped to the local parts store. Would have meant another week before I could have HVAC again.

Thanks for the help.