RPM limitor

SmoothSteve3

Hey guys-

On the 3.1 MPFI's, is there a rev. limitor at 6000 RPM when in drive? I know that there is a 4000 RPM limitor when in Park.....but what about drive? I ask because I dont have a tach in my 1990 Chevy Lumina, and I've never driven a stick, so i have no clue what certain rpms sound like. thanks!

SmoothSteve3

1990 Chevy Lumina

3.1 Liter V-6

Ride on White Lightning

that's factory rev limiter in drive? :shock:

I need to brush up on my 3.1 info....

Well the redline on the factory tach is at 6000, and yellow at 5500. Mine shifts around 5400, I have heard of others that shift at 5800 at WOT

Robby

that's factory rev limiter in drive? :shock:

I need to brush up on my 3.1 info....

Well the redline on the factory tach is at 6000, and yellow at 5500. Mine shifts around 5400, I have heard of others that shift at 5800 at WOT

Robby

mine has different moods. itll shift anywhere between 5500-6000. i also notice while in neutral and moving the car revs over the 4k limiter, and i also discovered the limiter in drive when i got a little air off an oddly shaped road :oops:

Jeff may be the only guy who knows why my car does this because he use to work with mike g a lot. I dont know where the hell the shift points are in my car, i was in the car with my buddy (the guy who had it before me) and he slammed it in first gear, the rpm was sailing over 6000rpm when i told him to let off...I have never done it because the info i have obtained on this motor is that high revs kill it, so i have no idea where my shift points are????