Strange Problem

Addicted To Boost

I got in my GP last night to drive home, put the key in and started it... and a LOT of smoke came out from the steering column. It stopped after like 2-3 seconds, but that was kinda scary.. and now my right turnsignal doesn't work at all. What happened here??? Also, what can I do to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

fyi...there are two types. one with rswc (redundant steering wheel controls) and one without. the one with rswc can be found for around $52. I bought mine without for $40 at advance auto. Some stores will gouge you on this part, so compare prices

Well mines out of my old '93 Lumina Z34. You will have to double check part numbers prior to purchase. I should of stated that earlier. Sorry! I even have the actual turn signal stem with cruise control, complete with harness, no cut/splices. Letters are a little more than half worn off. I could post pics. Let me know if you are interested.

My switch is all finicky...I have to pull the stalk toward me ever so slightly when clicking it for the left or right signals...the cruise is finicky too. So mine is probably headed for this same fate.

same thing here. I had to pull mine toward me in order for it to work, then cruise gradually stopped working, then I replaced it. Mine fortunately didn't go up in smoke.

The switch on my '91 CS smoked like crazy when it went...

im surprised you didnt know what it was Nick! You've been around here long enough, and its such a common problem.

I suspected that's what it was, but I've never had this problem with any GPs I've owned :lol: The fact that it was smoking like crazy when I turned the key and wasn't even touching the turnsignal stalk surprised me though, that's why I asked.

It still works perfectly to the left though! I'm going to leave it like this until it cools down here and I can grab one out of a swrc-equipped GP.

Thanks guys

Just pop the switch out, clean off the grease, bend the contacts and put a tiny touch of grease on the contact points and reassemble. I did that with my cutlass when the brake lights and turn signals quit working and it held up without issue for the last year I had the car. Hardest part of the job is pulling the steering wheel, which really isn't hard at all.

http://tss.likeabigdog.com/

except no airbag or lock plate cover.

x2 on rebuilding the switch. only one switch in all of the square column cars I've had or worked on was not repairable. and use di-electric grease.

OMG That looks like a fucking nightmare.

it took me TEN MINUTES to do the job on the last car i did. yes. not hard at all. again... NO LOCK PLATE, and NO AIRBAG. only specialty tool you need is a puller.

x2 on rebuilding the switch. only one switch in all of the square column cars I've had or worked on was not repairable. and use di-electric grease.

it took me TEN MINUTES to do the job on the last car i did. yes. not hard at all. again... NO LOCK PLATE, and NO AIRBAG. only specialty tool you need is a puller.

Even with an airbag still not that hard.

Shit. I just hate screwing with electronics of any sort, which is why I got rid of my 2001 Land Rover.

I'll wait until the bastard goes bad (knowing my luck, it'll be next time I start the car) then tackle it.

First time I did this job, all I had was screwdrivers, pliers, and the steering wheel puller. No previous knowledge. I was 17 and wasn't even on this site. didn't know service manuals existed. you'll be fine.