Another Exhaust thread - what to do?

AWeb80

I like the tone of my GP now...but would like it a bit louder..

There is a local GP (kid is a tool) that has a completely stock exhaust minus a cat and mufflers....it's all 2" w/ the stock rez. It sounds pretty dang good but a bit loud...and at WOT it has a bit of rasp....I'm guessing the stock rez is about used up and not doing much.

If I were to do the same, my GP would be louder as I have a bigger manifold on the front and X-over and a ported rear along w/ a bigger DP and no cat and a lot more sound comes out.

What should I do? I want to go 2.5" from DP to Y and then 2.25" to 2" tips. Should I do a small (but good flowing) muffler where teh cat should be and then a rez in the stock position?

I really have no idea what to do....I don't want to change the sound too much, just keep the stock sound and quiet it a bit.

Here is the only clip I have of what the car sounds like now...

here are the tips I'll be using.... C6 Vette..

3-2.jpg

2-3.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AWeb80

• 19Cutlass94

• Brian P

• RobertISaar

:drool: i want those tips... you are looking at no backpressure with those numbers... that could possibly harm your performance. id do 2.5" to Y then 2" after... also go with a dual 3chamber mufflers.nice growl but if you want to smooth the grumble, you could add a glasspack as a resnator.

why does everyone think having backpressure helps anything? you want as little as you can possibly measure, showing that your entire system is just BARELY restrictive enough to generate it. that keeps the torque in the bottom and allows for breathing up top...

and do you want it louder or quieter?

just keep the stock sound and quiet it a bit.

why does everyone think having backpressure helps anything? you want as little as you can possibly measure, showing that your entire system is just BARELY restrictive enough to generate it. that keeps the torque in the bottom and allows for breathing up top...

and do you want it louder or quieter?

just keep the stock sound and quiet it a bit.

I want it louder than it is now, but quieter than it would be w/ straight pipes

READ:

http://my.prostreetonline.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-1639.htm

p.s. now I know why the 92 vert feels so strange. It has a 3.4 cat and back. so it has lost low rpm torque for higher rpm power. %#&*(^#&*(^&*

wow, thats alot of reading, but essentially its saying backpressure is evil. you want as little as possible. you don't want exactly 0, because that means your pipes are too large and the exhaust velocity is dropping.

essentially what i said in the post above, i just didn't mention velocity because i thought it was implied, since a larger pipe, given the same amount of volume going through it, the gases will flow slower.

quiter than straight pipes, but louder than it is now? glasspacks, buddy. :lol: not sure about the effect on the tone it will have on a 3.4, but its nice on a 3100...

READ:

p.s. now I know why the 92 vert feels so strange. It has a 3.4 cat and back. so it has lost low rpm torque for higher rpm power. %#&*(^#&*(^&*

wow, thats alot of reading, but essentially its saying backpressure is evil. you want as little as possible. you don't want exactly 0, because that means your pipes are too large and the exhaust velocity is dropping.

essentially what i said in the post above, i just didn't mention velocity because i thought it was implied, since a larger pipe, given the same amount of volume going through it, the gases will flow slower.

quiter than straight pipes, but louder than it is now? glasspacks, buddy. :lol: not sure about the effect on the tone it will have on a 3.4, but its nice on a 3100...

I'm sorry.... I forgot to say... I'm running a 3.1 mpfi on a 3.4 cat back system. :lol: so i'm having some velocity issues. but the car can fly once you rev it up.

READ:

I'm sorry.... I forgot to say... I'm running a 3.1 mpfi on a 3.4 cat back system. :lol: so i'm having some velocity issues. but the car can fly once you rev it up.

a stock 3.4 DOHC system is not large enough to cause any problems. '91 Grand Prix's with a 3.1 and B4U had a 2 1/4" exhaust stock and it was fine.

ok, i got a small snippet of it to work....

how do you like the sound? how does it sound at WOT from the outside..and is there any drone or humming on the HWY?

I like what I hear so far

ok, i got a small snippet of it to work....

how do you like the sound? how does it sound at WOT from the outside..and is there any drone or humming on the HWY?

I like what I hear so far

I LOVE the sound. From like 2K and above it sounds like a muscle car with a cam, from what I hear in the car. No lie. WOT it sounds great. I dont have any outside vids of it yet, Ill try and see what I can do about that for ya.

Like Isaid Ill see what I can get for ya Adam. Ill try and get it up soon, but I duno how soon it will be :/

Next time you got a vacation of whatever I wanna try and meet up with ya cuz I deff wana check out that car. I really want a road trip soon so maybe my next one will be out your way.